PCI S-ATA-Controller for optical devices ?

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006
I`m going to buy Plextor`s new DVD-recorder PX-755SA with S-ATA interface as soon as it will be available.

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium Mainboard, which has both an onchip nF4 S-SATA RAID-controller and an onboard Silicon Image SIL3114R S-ATA RAID-controller.

In an other forum I read, that none oth this controllers would be able to handle optical devices with S-ATA interface.

Now I wonder, which PCI S-ATA-controllers could be used for the task i described above ?

Could anybody tell me what controller I have to look for ?

Some links would be great !

CU

Demian

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Why not try onboard first????

And why do you need a DVD S-ATA DVD recorder. It's not like it maxes out ATA-100 even.

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006
Originally posted by: wizboy11

And why do you need a DVD S-ATA DVD recorder. It's not like it maxes out ATA-100 even.

Hello,

no, this decision is not performance-related.
Those small S-ATA cables seem to be better for airflow inside my case.

Do you think connecting an optical device to nF4 S-ATA controller (connector 3 or 4) will work if two S-ATA HDDs are installed on connector 1 and 2 as RAID0 ?

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Reapsy01
don't bother with raid0 it's really annoying when u lose all your data

I`m not afraid of loosing data as long as I can restore a working image of my array...

WebDude

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Demian0
In an other forum I read, that none oth this controllers would be able to handle optical devices with S-ATA interface.
Now I find that very strange. To my knowledge, the SI sata controllers are one of the few that can support such drives.

From the horse's mouth. SiI 3114
Other Features & Benefits

* Serial ATA (SATA) ? 1.5 Gbps (150MB/s)
* Compliant with SATA 1.0 specification
* Integrated SATA Transport, Link logic, and PHY layer
* 48-bit sector addressing
* Four independent DMA channels with 256B FIFO per channel
* Virtual DMA in PCI with serial link in legacy PIO mode
* Supports command buffering for ATA TF shadow registers
* Supports up to 4MB external FLASH
* Supports ATAPI devices: CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, etc.
* Hot-Plug capable
* Supports SATA active signal for 4 separate LEDs
* Selectable drive strength on Tx for backplane applications
* Supports spread spectrum clocking to reduce EMI
* Single, digital PLL architecture with 1 PLL for all 4 channels

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: wizboy11

He has money, he can afford plextor, plextor are like the ferrari of dvd burners.

I would say MOST RAID sata are NOT ATAPI compatible. Saves a few cent for manufacture.

I learn this from another user here. Apparently if the ATA connector is not ATAPI compatible, most raid controller are like this, no optical drive would ever run on it. Thats why a lot of the manuals say please dont run your optical off this.

So for the SATA, the SATA connector needs to be SATAPI compliant in order to run the CD/DVD/etc

http://www.ata-atapi.com/

ATA or PATA - Parallel ATA - the traditional parallel ATA interface - used by disk drives.
ATAPI or PATAPI - ATAPI using PATA - used by CD, DVD and tape devices.
SATA - Serial ATA - serial version of parallel ATA - mostly used by disk drives.
SATAPI - Serial ATAPI - ATAPI using SATA - used by CD, DVD and tape devices.

ie: this sata card

http://www.tekram.com.cn:8060/Productspec.asp?Product=TR-822
Says "Support ACPI and ATA/ATAPI-6 UDMA mode or PIO Modes" &" SATA Devices: HDD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM etc. "

So this would support any SATA DVD/CDR/Etc

DVD/CDROM

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999

duke2106

Apr 19, 2004
I can confirm that my a8n-sli deluxe is supporting my Plextor 712sa SATA DVD burner on the sil3114 chipset. Have not had any problems burning anything (at least problems that weren't caused by me in the first place).

hkklife

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2003
Does anyone have any solid info on when the new Plextors will be available stateside? I am itching to get one and I am trying to hold off buying the 716SA right now...

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Demian0
Originally posted by: Reapsy01
don't bother with raid0 it's really annoying when u lose all your data

I`m not afraid of loosing data as long as I can restore a working image of my array...

The sole purpose I use RAID0 is for MM decoding so IMO you are doing the right thing for the best performance just keep your back-up Method up to date although over many years of using RAID0...I've had it crash just once ;)

With the SATA Optical...you will be good to go using the MoBo's SATA

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I rather have everything sata.. the wiring for ide cable sucks.. and i hate those round ones too, they're not very flexy