PCI Express 2.0 Compatibility

imported_cinder

Sep 19, 2006
What happens when you put a PCI Express 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot. What am I losing and how big of a performance loss is there if any, or is it not compatible at all? I've been looking for these answers in the forums so Im sorry if I've overlooked the proper thread. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cinder
What happens when you put a PCI Express 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot. What am I losing and how big of a performance loss is there if any, or is it not compatible at all? I've been looking for these answers in the forums so Im sorry if I've overlooked the proper thread. Thanks in advance for the answers.

It will revert to PCIe 1.x. I don't know what the performance difference is though.

Boyd117

Nov 14, 2007
There currently isn't a difference since we don't even use all of the pci-e 1.1 bandwidth...correct me if I'm wrong.

vmyap

Jun 5, 2005
as far as I know, PCI-e v2.0 will be useful in SLI. With PCI-e 1.x the bandwidth is shared between the 2 pci-e slot while on the v2.0 both card will be able to used the full bandwidth of the vcard, 16x?!?

correct me if I'm wrong I just read it on a motherboard review.

vanvock

Jan 1, 2005
Originally posted by: BlueAcolyte
No difference as long as the card runs at x16.

Do you have any further experience, opinion,or links on this? I've been trying to find out if say an 8800gt really needs more than a x8 slot & can't find any evidence that it does. A member here tried his in both slots a found no real difference other than it seemed to help his oc in the x16 mode. I'm planning to get one when the prices finally settle down & would rather run it in the second slot if it doesn't need the extra bandwidth.

imported_cinder

Sep 19, 2006
I thought the eVGA 680i motherboards support 2 cards in 16x meaning true SLI, right? I didn't think that 2.0 meant unshared channels..but if that is true does this mean the 680i boards have more a larger bandwidth to allow 2 cards at true 16x SLI.

edited for poor grammer sorry haha!