Question PCI EX 2.1 motherboard will it support a PCI EX 4 new video card?

Paul Panza

May 27, 2020
I have a GA-790 FXTZ-UD5 motherboard running a Radeon 5970 Black Edition video card. Interested in upgrading to new which is a PCI 4. Can this work or only a PCI EX 2.1 video card would be compatible?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ok let me see if i can translate for you.

You have a Giggy 790, the board uses PCI-E.
You see a video card which says PCI-E? or PCI-X these were 2 different standards.
There is no PCI-EX unless they made short PCI-Express which then can mean PCI-Ex, but that would confuse a lot of people.
If its PCI-Express, then that is PCI-E so yes it will work.

What is PCI 4? there is no such thing as PCI 4? unless u mean Gen. 4 which 99.9999% of all cards are backwards and forwards compatible, it will just run at its machine sync speed with the board.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
PCIe 4 is backwards compatible to PCIe 3 if that is what you are asking.
If you are upgrading your system minus the graphics card, then yes, your old graphics card can work in your new system as far as I know. It is old enough so you may have BIOS not understanding your new card.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Which video card did you have in mind? Some of the newer ones have issues working on older boards, as mentioned, often due to lack of EFI support.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
PCIE gen 4 graphics card like the 5700XT should work on your PCIE gen 2 motherboard,

but, compatibility issues may happen on the bios/firmware level, which are not caused by the PCIE version specifically,