PCI @40mhz, did I fry my NIC?

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
Well, I got me a 700 cb0 and on my way to 933 I decided to stop off at 840mhz. so at 120FSB my PCI was doing 40 and everything seemed ok for about a week and then we went to 124 which has a divider of 1/4 so now I'm down to 33 on my PCI but I wonder if the damage was done. I have two nic's a Intel 10/100 pro and a realtek(something like that) as we run winproxy so all 3 PCs can get out thru my 700 onto the internet with only one IP. well I get home late Monday from a trip to find my 700 hung up(more on that in a bit)so I re-boot and then go to restart the wives 550 but it won't get on the net. Neither does my p200 but the 700 will. so here is what we have. It is set up so the modem goes into my Intel pro-then the realtek goes to a switch and then the other two PCs plug into the switch. but I figured if my 700 get out thru my Intel but the other two can't get out then I must have burned up my other NIC. How much juice can they take? Is 40mhz to much?

Now to the reason it hung. I have 128mg corsair PC100 that is CAS3 that I run at CAS2. It seemed fine at 120 but I wonder if 124 was a little to much at CAS2. How do you know when it is to much? If the video can't do it it will not boot but how do you know if it's RAM? Could it possibly run for a few days then just shut down? Or would it not boot at all and I need to look for something else?

thanks...