PCB and board schematic plan of 4870X2

poorya_user

Apr 12, 2010
Hey you guys.
I have 4870x2 which doesn't work , because of second GPU failure.
Now I want it's PCB and board scheme , so maybe I can fix it .
Please help me if you know any thing about it.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Hey you guys.
I have 4870x2 which doesn't work , because of second GPU failure.
Now I want it's PCB and board scheme , so maybe I can fix it .
Please help me if you know any thing about it.
Call AMD and ask for the schematics for reference board.

I am sorry, but the fact you asked this question indicated that you don't have enough knowledge to repair the card.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Its not very common to have a dead GPU, unless if it was heavily overvolted or overheated terribly.

poorya_user

Apr 12, 2010
Call AMD and ask for the schematics for reference board.

I am sorry, but the fact you asked this question indicated that you don't have enough knowledge to repair the card.

Yeah , actually I don't have any skill in this part (I mean fixing the card),
But one of my friends has this skill and he said if I bring him the PCB plan may be he can fix it , Nevertheless I have to shot it in to by trash basket.
I'm just trying my chance.
Any help or idea will be accepted.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
But one of my friends has this skill and he said if I bring him the PCB plan may be he can fix it , Nevertheless I have to shot it in to by trash basket.
Give my reply to your friends then. S/he is out of his/her mind if s/he thinks s/he can have access to those type of informations. If you need to make a video card from sketches, then yes, you need them. To repair, you don't. Visual inspect the card and see if there are solder problems, burn marks and popped caps, then use voltage meter to check each of the resistors. If the GPU itself died, there is nothing anyone can do as things are fused together and parts are not visible to human eye...

poorya_user

Apr 12, 2010
Give my reply to your friends then. S/he is out of his/her mind if s/he thinks s/he can have access to those type of informations. If you need to make a video card from sketches, then yes, you need them. To repair, you don't. Visual inspect the card and see if there are solder problems, burn marks and popped caps, then use voltage meter to check each of the resistors. If the GPU itself died, there is nothing anyone can do as things are fused together and parts are not visible to human eye...
Thank you sooooooooooooo much, it was helpful.
Now I have another question, is it possible to change the dead GPU with another one from the other 4870 ( or 4870x2 ) card ?
And something else , It 99% GPU failure because the company which warranty my card said its GPU dead and my friend who tried it with volt-meter said the same thing . even they connected it to a device which I think shows the pulse clocks but I can not remember the name.
Unfortunately the warranty period time was expired .

Last edited:

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Thank you sooooooooooooo much, it was helpful.
Now I have another question, is it possible to change the dead GPU with another one from the other 4870 ( or 4870x2 ) card ?

In theory, but it would be extremely extremely difficult. I've seen people desolder things like that online, there was a guy who desoldered a xbox cpu from the board. But it is not at all common and the skill required is rare.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
If the GPU is dead, consider the card dead. Considering the cost of buying a spare 4870 and the chances of the swap actually working, it'd be throwing money down the drain.

How exactly does the card "not work?" Have you tried using it in a different computer or swapping out your power supply?

poorya_user

Apr 12, 2010
Yes . I tried it in other systems but it doesn't works and noting appear in my screen. as I said I'm sure that the GPU is gone.

4870x2

Sep 20, 2010
hello,
can i have also a
PCB and board scheme for the 4870x2 ?

i have also problem with my card :(

best thx

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I design eletronic products, including PC board layout and production. The board is probably multi-layered with a lot of surface mounted components. Even with a schematic, unless your friend has the right tools and is extremely skilled at repairing such boards the odds of successfully repairing it. If the board, itself has any kind of short, open connection or any other failure, your chances of spotting it, let alone repairing it are between slim and none.

Finally, if you can get a reference board, you'll still have to buy all the components to stuff it at low quantity prices, and you'll need the hardware to test it. If you can't get one, designing and fabricating a single piece or a small quantity of boards and components would cost more than several tested, working new high end video cards with no guarantee that your first design attempt would work.

I admire your ambition, but I doubt that this is a practical project. :)