PC3200 with a 333fsb should be ok...right?

bmwme

May 10, 2001
Well I was all excited to buy 1gb of Crucial Ballistix PC3200 for $30 (see Hot Deals section for deal).
Well I got it on Friday and decided to try it. I have an old Abit KV7-Raid (VIA KT600 chipset) and was running 333fsb on my AMD 2600+ but when I removed my sticks of PC2700, installed the two Crucial sticks I couldn't get it to post successfully. The computer would turn on, display the BIOS initialization screen and when it attempted to check the RAM it would freeze.

What am I missing? Is the mobo detecting the RAM and trying to force a 400mhz FSB which is causing the CPU to lock up, or is it the RAM that is failing? What is the best way to setup this chipset to get maximum speed out of it?
I'm having more trouble with this computer lately than it is worth. It seems like everything is dying at the same time.

Thanks for any help.

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
are you getting any error beeps? tried clearing the CMOS? tried one stick at a time?

bmwme

May 10, 2001
With both sticks I get nothing. With one stick I get a long beep, and with the other stick I get nothing. I don't get it.

One question. I've read that some PC3200 likes voltage. How does a mobo figure out default RAM voltage? Can a mobo auto configure what it wants for voltage or what?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Originally posted by: bmwme
With both sticks I get nothing. With one stick I get a long beep, and with the other stick I get nothing. I don't get it.

One question. I've read that some PC3200 likes voltage. How does a mobo figure out default RAM voltage? Can a mobo auto configure what it wants for voltage or what?

Stock DDR voltage is 2.6v and that's what all mobo's will put out until changed, the Ballistix runs at 2.8v when it's at lowest latencies, 2-2-2-6 @ 400Mhz. Chances are that the mobo just doesn't support the Ballistix altogether with your BIOS revision, or the RAM is actually faulty.

Try clearing the CMOS with no RAM installed, and install one stick at a time. If that does not work, try booting with a stick of 2700 and a stick of Ballistix and see what you get. If it boots like that, then your a little farther than before, and you can go in and change the voltage. **IF you do this REMEMBER to pull the stick of 2700 immediately after you save+exit the BIOS and shut down the pc**