PC wont switch on for a while after powering down

penguin32

Feb 10, 2011
Hi
Not sure whether this belongs in the section, however the problem is in the subject line.
After powering down my PC it will not boot for a while, 10 minutes, some times longer, some times shorter any ideas? its a real pain!
A keyboard reboot comes backup ok.
Components below

Thanks

Intel Core i5 4570, S 1150, Haswell
Asus B85M-G, Intel B85, S 1150
DDR 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
120GB Samsung 840 Basic, 2.5" SSD 7
360W Seasonic PSU G-360, 80 PLUS Go
24" Dell U2412M IPS LED Monitor
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Perform the PSU-paper Clip test below. If it fails to start, the replace the PSU.
If the aforementioned test passes, then do a similar startup but of the system at the motherboard by over-riding the case start switch. That should tell you whether you should replace the case start switch or whether something may be wrong with the motherboard.

Good luck.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The symptoms you explain is a very common occurrence I have witnessed many times over the years here when power supplies have began their march to death. Many power supplies begin causing weird issues instead of dying outright.

I'd definitely swap out a known working unit as a first step in diagnosing the problem.

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
It's a pretty bold statement to recommend swapping out the PSU before doing any other diagnostics.

A paper clip or small piece of wire cost almost nothing and can confirm the PSU is or is not the problem before spending $50 on a new PSU. Even the hassle of removing the PSU from another computer is worth avoiding if it can be tested with a paper clip. It is just as likely the problem is a wiring/connection problem or a bad switch, these are easy to troubleshoot and inexpensive to repair, I'd start with attempting to diagnose the problem before shotgunning parts.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's a pretty bold statement to recommend swapping out the PSU before doing any other diagnostics.

A paper clip or small piece of wire cost almost nothing and can confirm the PSU is or is not the problem before spending $50 on a new PSU. Even the hassle of removing the PSU from another computer is worth avoiding if it can be tested with a paper clip. It is just as likely the problem is a wiring/connection problem or a bad switch, these are easy to troubleshoot and inexpensive to repair, I'd start with attempting to diagnose the problem before shotgunning parts.

There's nothing "bold" about what I said.

I didn't say run and out buy a new PSU. I said swap out a known working unit (maybe a backup, or from another PC). Many of us have extra parts, so this is just one option.

Also, just because a PSU will start it's fan up by using a paperclip doesn't mean it is working. For a person to truly know if the PSU is in good working order, they would need to test with a multimeter. While the paperclip test is handy to make sure a PSU isn't DOA, it doesn't really help much if the power supply still works, but is in bad working order.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012

The paper clip test, although worth trying, will only tell you if it will start without a load. It might start right up, and still be a bad power supply. And I've never heard of a power switch not working because the PC is warm. It's a momentary switch, they don't get warm.

Feb 4, 2009
I had a similar problem that got progressively worse. Machine would start to a black screen after resting for a while, then after multiple times it would ultimately start. Times between rest & start up got longer and longer

First tip unplug the pc from the wall then press power key for 30 seconds, plug it back in and see if it’s fixed
Second take @VirtualLarry ’s advice that I ignored for far too long. Change the bios battery. Two pack cost me $5, as of today fixed nearly all my power problems regarding start up.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

penguin32

Feb 10, 2011
Thankyou all for your contributions.
The paper clip test seemed to confirm that the \psu was the most likely candidate, it wouldn't start up this way soon after shutting down. A replacement PSU has the system back up and running reliably.
The failed unit is a seasonic gold PSU which appear to be just out of its 5 year warranty when I looked. I had thought it had a 10 year warranty but it appears I was wrong:(

Feb 4, 2009
Thankyou all for your contributions.
The paper clip test seemed to confirm that the \psu was the most likely candidate, it wouldn't start up this way soon after shutting down. A replacement PSU has the system back up and running reliably.
The failed unit is a seasonic gold PSU which appear to be just out of its 5 year warranty when I looked. I had thought it had a 10 year warranty but it appears I was wrong:(

You may still be good, I *think* I remember reading something where Seasonic increased the warranty for a bunch of their power supplies. Even to units sold with a lower warranty