PC won't boot all of a sudden (Solved)

Griesson

Oct 21, 2016
Hi,

so what exactly happend is that i pressed the turn on button, got out of the room, came back after 5min and found the cieling light bulb dead and the PC in the "bootless"(?) state with only the PSU's fan working while the case, GPU and mobo had only LED lights on.

When i just got this pc i did have issues with the 24 pin atx connector being to long to fit the socket deep enough for its hook to attach itself to the socket and until i fastened it really, really tight it did fail to boot after workin flawlessly for days on a couple occasions, but since that manly fastening it worked without problems for the last 1yr+(i got a thumbs up from ASUS support that i can run the mobo with the connector in that state)... So thats the first thing i checked but it made no difference.

Other than that the only thing i can add is that for the last 3-4 weeks on a couple occasions the monitor would suddenly turn off, losing input from the GPU and id have to turn off the PC to solve the issue(reseting would not solve it) but it only started happening with one specific game and only ever happened with that one game which obviously had issues with my GPU(or the other way around) as for some reason accepting a group invite in game would cause the game to "lose the GPU's priority/focus(?)" with the fans RPM instantly drastically dropping along with usage, temp and in game FPS so i blamed the game for that specific issue.

As for the possbility of the cause being a surge that burned a comp, well all i can say is there were no thunderstorms or any, even brief power shortages in those 5min... I HAVE to say this was a thunder from the blue sky.

Anyway, not sure how to proceed so any hint would be helpful, thanks.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Sounds like a bad mobo. Try pulling everything out of the case and booting to BIOS with the mobo and PSU on a table/bench. Double check the PSU connectors and RAM seating, make sure everything is firm. Might just be a loose connection or case short somewhere.

If that doesn't work, your next step is to clear the CMOS setting using the CLRTC jumper on the motherboard. Maybe the CMOS settings were corrupted by a power spike. It's possible.

If that doesn't work, I'd look at getting a new motherboard. Also try using your PSU in a different computer to test it.

Reactions: Griesson

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Sounds like a bad mobo. Try pulling everything out of the case and booting to BIOS with the mobo and PSU on a table/bench. Double check the PSU connectors and RAM seating, make sure everything is firm. Might just be a loose connection or case short somewhere.

If that doesn't work, your next step is to clear the CMOS setting using the CLRTC jumper on the motherboard. Maybe the CMOS settings were corrupted by a power spike. It's possible.

If that doesn't work, I'd look at getting a new motherboard. Also try using your PSU in a different computer to test it.
+1. and what are your system spec.

Reactions: Griesson

Griesson

Oct 21, 2016
Hey ppl, didnt expect so quick responses. So after checking all connections and clearing CMOS didnt solve the issue i took all out and for some reason it booted on the 1st try, put everything back inside and it works without issues. My guess is that it was a short, as you guys pointed out, although i cant tell the cause.

Cant help but wonder how is this connected to the dead bulb tho, if at all... Was this your doing Jesus? If so, touche, i did shat myself. Anyways, thx for your help guys, it is seriously appreciated. Cheers

Reactions: DAPUNISHER