PC was powering on and off over and over

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Hey all,
I just started having trouble with my desktop.
When I hit the power button, it goes into a cycle of powering up for about 2 seconds, shutting down, then repeating over and over.
I get no beeps.
The green, yellow, and red LEDs on the motherboard all light up very briefly before the whole thing powers down.

I tried resetting CMOS, then pulled out pieces of hardware one by one until the only thing connected to the motherboard is the PSU, CPU, memory sticks and the power switch connector.

I was about to post what I had above, when I tried one last thing and that was pulling out the 2 memory sticks and trying each one individually in each slot.

Eventually, I found that I could get the computer to boot up with one of the sticks, but not the other.

Could a problem with RAM result in the issues I was having? I assumed I would get some beeps or some other indication of a memory issue.

Any thoughts?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
If a signal line is dead, or if it is causing contention, then it might not get far enough into the POST to output an error code. In my experience that is what happens most of the time. I only remember a couple instances where I actually got beep codes that I could look up.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Seems to still be running fine on the one stick right now.

I guess the only thing that made me question whether it was that simple is that even with the one stick in the slot it's in now, it still did the automatic power down and power up thing a couple of times at first before it started booting all the way up.

Guess I'll just keep my eye on it and see if I have any other issues.