Pc Vs Console InfoGraph

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Yes and no. Having never played the original Fallout, I was interested to see that GameFly had it as an option that is free for members like myself. I was all set to give it a spin when I see the little note: "Display issues on Windows 7".

They were minor, at least in my case. Nothing that would stop you from playing the game.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
hardcore.png

DAMN THAT PC IS HARDCORE AS HELL!

Looks like that corsair case with the army color scheme.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
The flaw of this post is that there are PC games that will never come to consoles and there are console games that will never come to PCs and I enjoy both.

Also, a PC from 2005 would have been completely replaced probably twice by now in 2008 and 2011. That's at least $1500 right there if you are picking some pretty good parts. Compare that to the $300 a launch 360 would have cost back then. Of course, the downside is console games are still stuck with 2005 era graphics which are absolute crap right now.

So it's an even split.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
The flaw of this post is that there are PC games that will never come to consoles and there are console games that will never come to PCs and I enjoy both.

Also, a PC from 2005 would have been completely replaced probably twice by now in 2008 and 2011. That's at least $1500 right there if you are picking some pretty good parts. Compare that to the $300 a launch 360 would have cost back then. Of course, the downside is console games are still stuck with 2005 era graphics which are absolute crap right now.

So it's an even split.

I wouldn't call Red Dead Redemption's or LA Noire's graphics "absolute crap"

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
That has to be the only so called infographic I have seen that doesn't actually contain any useful comparison numbers. Infographics are about statistical comparison to introduce you to a subject not a list of text statements.

Comparing a 550Mhz GPU on a Console to 1050 Mhz on the PC is completely dumb and wrong.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I wouldn't call Red Dead Redemption's or LA Noire's graphics "absolute crap"

I was quite surprised by how well RDR looked on the Playstation. However, it has really bad aliasing. Too bad Rockstar never ported it over. Would have loved to play it with K&M. Though after seeing the quality of their other porting work, maybe it was for the best.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
It is like saying that:

A
512 mb ram
Game requires 1gb ram to run on A

B
256mb ram
Game requires 192mb ram to run on B

But you say A>B

I say LOL

Btw I am a pc guy and have never owned a modern day console. My last 7+ years have been with pcs

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Do "gamers" really limit themselves to just a PC or console? This is like arguing pizza vs Chinese food. Yes, I like pizza a lot more, but every now and then I want Chinese food.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Its a fine comparison and I enjoyed the read. The PC is better for the reasons stated. The console sucks for the reasons stated.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Who pays $30 for an HDMI cable? Besides middle aged couples who don't know better.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
PC gaming on a couch is just as comfortable if not moreso. I disagree with that particular bullet point.

A Logitech K520 and a Logitech M570 would take care of that. (learning and adjustment curve pending though).

No need for a silly lapboard, or coffee table.

Though, you could also just use a wireless controller too.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Do "gamers" really limit themselves to just a PC or console? This is like arguing pizza vs Chinese food. Yes, I like pizza a lot more, but every now and then I want Chinese food.

No but like eating pizza, you prefer some from one establishment for certain kinds of pizza, one establishment for another different kind of pizza.

In reality, I would be a Nintendo/PC person. The Xbox was purchased out of a few friends that prefer that option and had some multiplaying outings on that. I see no real desired exclusives or must haves on the Xbox 360 platform that I have to have. Halo does not count. FPS games don't count (my hands and eyes do much better with a mouse/trackball and keyboard)

I am really liking the Steam portal and consolidation that allowed me back into PC gaming.

(Goes back to Darksiders II)

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

So it's an even split.

If you have a Core 2 Duo or Quad, it is still good now. A friend still PC games with a PC built 5-6 years ago. Only went through 1 graphics card, SSD, and PSU upgrade. And he was coming from a stock fanless NVidia card. Only one who is getting envy at all the new hardware will go full out and upgrade every year. And even then, you can resell what you don't need, making $1500 an absurd spending expense.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
there is only one difference that matters, PC are for people who like to play online games (MMORPG's not inlcuded) without 12 years olds who just learned there first cuss words and like to repeat them non stop (or adults who have forgot calling people names is grade school stuff). One game of Halo or any FPS on Live should convince anybody to mute the game.. which is quite sad and no fun and ruins the reson for voice comunication in team games.