Question PC trying to start, turns off, trying to start, turns off, etc.

c1derboy3

Mar 12, 2021
Hello Experts,

I’ve built my own computer and it used to work fine for several years until a few months ago this happened: When hitting the power button, it is trying to start up (fans are starting up), but only for about 1 second. Then it shuts down (fans stop running). Without doing anything about 2 seconds later, it tries to start up again (fans start running again). Then after 1 second, it shuts down again. This process repeats until you pull the plug or press the power button for 8 seconds.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Even with different HW setup from mine the diagnosis would be interesting, of course. Here my specs:

Motherboard: Asus Z97 Pro with 256 SSD (which is running Windows 10)
Prozessor: Intel Core i5-4690K
Power Supply: Aurum Pro 1000W
2x3TB Seagate Harddrives
No additional Sound- oder Graphicards

Since this is a very specific error I’m hoping someone can help me narrow down the troubleshooting. I really like this built and would like to save it somehow …

THANKS!!!

siver12

Mar 14, 2021
I have a similar issue. Here I the post I put on Reddit.

OK, I'll get to the issue asap.
My Pc is about 8 months old
Motherboard-ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI
CPU-RYZEN 5 3600
CPU COOLER-COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 WITH DUEL FANS PUSH PULL SYSTEM
RAM-G.SKILL 3600 2X8GB 16GB total RGB
GPU-GIGABYTE 1660 SUPER OC
SOUND CARD-SOUND BLASTER Z
PSU-EVGA 600 WATTS 80+BRONZE SEMI MOD
CAS-CORSAIR 220T
So Problems started when I got the corsair case and a commander pro. I have 5 RGB fans 3 120 and 2 140. Not including the 2 fans on the CPU cooler. Then I have 3 RGB strips connected to commander pro. 3 more RGB strips connected to the addressable header on the Motherboard.
SO when I got all that I noticed when I first started the PC in the day it started fine. However, if it had to shut down for some reason it would try to start but wouldn't. The fans would spin for 5 secs or so and light up and the strips would quickly light up as well. Also, GPU fans spun as well. Again it didn't start but almost like when a car started is going bad it would have to sit for about 15 to 20 min then start no problem. Well, tonight I was gaming and everything was great. I installed some games to make some room using IOBIT Uninstaller. I use a lot of their programs over the years and had no issues. Then for some reason, the pc went into shut down mode. I'm not sure why I wasn't looking at the screen. Went to start but instead of the fans spinning and lighting up only the lights on the CPU cooler which are red turned on for 3 sec or so, the ASUS logo lit up and the GPU fans spun for a few secs. SO this was very unusual. So I reset the bios pulling battery and jumpers. Nothing changed. Then went through all the components one at a time except the PSU and nothing seemed to work. I also disconnect the commander pro and still nothing. So I ask before I tear it down and rebuild trying to figure it out one component at a time does anyone have any ideas?? I'm so lost and frustrated.

c1derboy3

Mar 12, 2021
None of the fans are clogged or even dirty at all. It's very clean overall.

Also, I think Siver's problem is very different as his machine is still working on and off ...

I will move around the RAM and report back. How do I reset the CMOS?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It's very likely the MB is dying. I had a ECS Z97-PK MB that has similar problem, but not exactly the same. I had to unplug 24-pin power connector and re-plug it to make the PC to boot. Unplug and replug power cable didn't help.

I replaced the CMOS battery and was good for about 3 days, then the same symptom re-appeared. Swapped the PSU and it didn't help either.

Ditched the MB and bought another used MB and it's good since then.

Last edited:

siver12

Mar 14, 2021
The Motherboard is only about 6 months old. Not that there couldn't be something wrong with it. But I'm going through the whole process again. Torn down completely. Building it on the MB box. The testing power supply I was using and an old one I have that's only for testing purposes. Then if I don't see a diffenitive problem build back into the case and try to start it up. I had so many things plugs into externally as well as internally that it could easily be both MB and PSU. But that's for the idea.

Reactions: killster1

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dump any OC and run ram at stock setting, no XMP test. Remove all external cables except the KB, mouse, and monitor, test. Next remove drives one at a time test. Next remove any add on cards test,