Question PC suddenly started waking up on it's own from hibernate

merk

May 29, 2003
Hi All,

Windows 11 - i usually put my pc in hibernate mode when i am done with it. Suddenly the last day or two it resumes from hibernate a second or two after it shuts down. I had it set to allow a keyboard or mouse tap to wake the pc. Thought maybe a key was stuck or something so i disabled that option (or so i thought) in device manager. I then disabled the option to allow the network card to wake the PC and it stopped waking up. I also checked the event log and under the wakeup event it just says unknown source. And i went through everything listed under Human Interface Devices and USB Controllers/Devices and all of those are also UNchecked under allow to wake

I have 2 questions:
1. why would the network card suddenly have started waking the PC? And if it is waking the PC, why doesn't it show up as the wake source?
2. In device manager i UNchecked the box to allow my keyboard or mouse to wake the PC...but when i tapped the keyboard key, the PC woke up anyhow.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I had a PC that would wake up randomly on my LAN. It turned out to be a network thing that I didn't fully grasp. It seemed another PC on the LAN would occasionally send a wakeup signal (or something similar) to that one sleeping PC. Once I shut off that function the problem stopped.

EDIT: the issue was a Magic Packet

merk

May 29, 2003
The magic packet option was not checked. Honestly, I don't know why I even had the option turned on to let the network card wake the pc. A while back I tried to set up remote wake using a magic packet. But I think that was a previous PC.
In any case, any idea why it suddenly started happening? I had no other PC connected to the network. I haven't added any new networked device. And whatever is causing it to wake up must be constantly sending a signal because it wakes up within 5 seconds of turning off. Unless nothing is sending a signal and the network card is goofy.

It also seems odd that the event log doesn't indicate it's the network card that woke the PC.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I went through this experience, and probably more than once. My need to sleep and hibernate my systems seems to rise and fall with my frets about our electric bill. Ultimately, I'm of the opinion that if "something is supposed to work a certain way, then it should be made to work reliably."

I have our machines on a LAN with a household server. The server must be able to back up the other machines unattended -- hibernating or sleeping. So some of the behavior arises because I was able to properly set up this feature.

In other cases, it may be installed software which forces wake-up, and you just have to determine the cause and then make choices.

If you have a KVM switch serving two or more computers, the problem may derive from how a sleeping system interprets signals that reestablish the connections for mouse, keyboard and monitor. The solution to this requires giving up some convenience by disabling the keyboard and mouse wake-up features.

I don't just build my systems to play games. I'm a serious business user of the 20th century, and I multi-task. Maybe I have an Excel spreadsheet with a detailed annual budget and analysis alive in one window, my Quicken accounts open in another windows, my Outlook e-mail, my DMS and document archives, so on and so forth. I return to these windows daily. So I want to hibernate my system to resurrect my work where I left off.

On the other hand, I was having a problem with my HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 AiO printer for the scanner feature. After a couple months fiddling with the HP troubleshooting software, reinstalling the drivers, etc. -- I discovered that the scanner would begin to malfunction after the machine from which it was last accessed was awakened from hibernate or sleep. I either need to do a "restart" if the machine had been hibernated and I want to use the scanner, or I must just leave it running during times when I use the scanner and avoid putting it to sleep.

merk

May 29, 2003
So nothing has changed on my network. I do not have another computer on the network. I do sometimes use my laptop, but 99% of the time my laptop is shut off if I am home. And it was off all the times my desktop kept waking up. I also do not have a kvm switch.

I do have a printer/scanner, but that was also off.

I don't have any idea of how do determine what's causing it to wake to (besides saying it involves the network card) since the event log doesn't even indicate the network card was involved, it just says it was an unknown source.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A long time ago I would say go into your BIOS and check for the "Wake on LAN/Wake on MODEM" option. But I havent been into my BIOS in a long time. Dont even know where to find it.
(ASUS ROG with a GUI BIOS)

merk

May 29, 2003
I dont thnk it's the bios since i didnt make any changes in there or update. But it's worth a try. I'll take a look at the settings in there.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Is it one of those premium retail boards with an embedded processor that provides features nobody wanted like 'instant on', playing music files while the PC was in low power state, or permitting apps or RSS feeds to update in the background?