PC Slow After PSU Replacement (Original Blown)

guptasa1

Oct 22, 2001
Hey all,

So I've got a friend who's computer recently died with a blown PSU (smelled like burnt cat - not good).

We replaced the PSU with an inexpensive but a decent 500W model (she was on a no-name 480W model), and the system seems to have power fine, but its *incredibly* slow now for an inexplicable reason.

I unfortunately don't have the system here to work with, but will be working with it some tomorrow. Any ideas what could be causing this?

My current thought is I'm wondering if the BIOS settings got screwed up (I would think the battery would preserve them unless it's dead...). I checked them before briefly, but not in detail. I thought everything looked fine at the time but will revisit that.

Memory/processor seems good at first glance. Hard drive doesn't seem to be accessing like it should - seems like this might be where it's getting hung up, but I'm not sure why. It accesses eventually but takes FOREVER. As an example of what I'm talking about, we tested a download of a file, and the download worked as usual (good speed, etc.), but when it got to copying the file to the hard drive (ie. the step where the file finishes downloadable and shows up to become usable), it hung for what seemed like forever.

Any other ideas of what the issue could be would be most appreciated!

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
sounds like the PSU took either the mobo or HD with it. Its not uncommon for PSU's to take out other components when they blow, this is why a quality PSU is worth its weight in gold.

Test the HDD in another system to see if thats the issue. Also test the mobo with a known good CPU and RAM too see if thats the problem.

Good luck!

guptasa1

Oct 22, 2001
Rifterut, thanks much for the reply. Yeah, the PSU that blew wasn't even branded...

Ouch - sounds like the prognosis isn't looking good. Well, I'll see what I can figure out and if this thing's salvageable. I'm sure I can at least figure out if it's the HDD or something else - not sure I have anything onhand to test mobo/RAM with tho (it's AMD based and most of my "graveyard" is Intel).