pc shuts off before booting

dragantoe

Oct 22, 2012
ever since yesterday, every time I turn on my computer or wake it up from sleep mode, the computer shuts off, then turns on, then shuts off again, and proceeds to boot into the os. It started happening right after I re-installed the power and reset switch because I was using them for another computer earlier. also, whenever it turns on for 4 second intervals, the screen stays black until the third time it turns on.

edit: i just realized that my computer reset my cpu overclock, and when I go to the bios to change it and leave the bios, it does the same thing and resets the bios. So I think it's a motherboard problem

Last edited:

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
It is....Reset your bios back to default. Make sure that you set to achi if you have a SSD. Usually when you have this kind of problem, its an Unstable clock or memory issue.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
may even be your power supply failing, and eventually frying your mobo, so try testing that.

dragantoe

Oct 22, 2012
It is....Reset your bios back to default. Make sure that you set to achi if you have a SSD. Usually when you have this kind of problem, its an Unstable clock or memory issue.

the overclock I have has been running since december no problems, i've gone 3 hours on prime95 without a problem, also, I tested the memory, it isn't the problem

dragantoe

Oct 22, 2012
I've figured out what's wrong, my ram overclock suddenly became unstable, it's been running at 1866 and when I reset it to 1600, it was fixed, the bios somehow messed up and overclocked itself. weird timing though since I was just working on my computer yesterday before it happened. but it is patriot viper so I don't know why it can't handle 1866