PC Sales basically flat in Q3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What alleged reduction?

The vague statements of various posters here claiming that a 15.5% reduction in sales by PC OEMs in the "other" category for Q3 all (or mostly) lay at the feet of AMD. I doubt OEMs even sold that many AMD machines in all of Q2.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I've never suggested that, although the big OEMs are mostly pro-Intel. AMD's actual market share drop isn't 15%, but when you consider that the Computing and Graphics revenue dropped 20% from 3Q 2013 it was a good chunk.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
IMO at this point flat sales is good. The sales have been declining for several years now. If sales are flat, that's actually an improvement in the trend. Yes, the replacement cycle has increased a lot from 2 years to 5 or 6 years, but sooner or later we were supposed to reach new replacement equilibrium. Plus I'm guessing the tablet/phablet/phone adoption has reached its peak so it's no longer cannibalizing PC sales. A lot of businesses have been ignoring Win8 and it also got a really bad rep on consumer side as well. However, I do expect a lot of businesses upgrade when Win10 comes around, so outlook for the next two years is good I think.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
I've never suggested that, although the big OEMs are mostly pro-Intel. AMD's actual market share drop isn't 15%, but when you consider that the Computing and Graphics revenue dropped 20% from 3Q 2013 it was a good chunk.

AMD might have posted a sales *increase* and could still have lost market share to Intel. What you guys are trying to do, from OEM market share deduce the amount of market share of AMD, would only be possible if you had the Intel/AMD mix of every OEM out there.