PC -> Receiver -> 60" Plasma (How to?)

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
I'm able to hook PC to TV using HDMI no problem, however I want to use my Receiver & speakers for the audio portion. I figured running HDMI cable from PC to Receiver-in, then HDMI from Receiver-out to the TV. I tried this last night but the video was studdering and there was no audio. Could it be the cable?

My Receiver
My TV
My PC specs are below.

Thanks in advance!

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I dont know why it will not let the video pass through. Maybe it has to be plugged into a specific or preferred HDMI IN. You could try the optical out on the TV to the the receiver. I wonder if you can update the receiver by changing the firmware or if there is some kind of setting you have to turn on.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Edit.

Sorry, I misread how you were doing this. Yes, I think your problem is most likely the cable.

Last edited:

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Software has a role in this too. When you refer to studdering and no audio, are you saying that even desktop use is broken or just movies/videos? If the latter, there are a myriad of other issues. For example, XBMC needs to have specific settings enabled to play successfully.

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
So what happens is in 1920x1080 the screen flickers and audio is fine. I lower the resolution to 1600x900 and the issues are corrected.

Any idea?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There is another way to try this where you use two HDMI out cables however it could cause the audio to get out of sync. I have never used an audio receiver so maybe you could discuss this in the other forum (Audio/Video and home theater) or the avs forum. I think there is a link to the AVS forum on one of the stickies of this forum. I think that forum has some information about audio recievers.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/90/receivers-amps-and-processors/50

Last edited:

Zxian

May 26, 2011
So what happens is in 1920x1080 the screen flickers and audio is fine. I lower the resolution to 1600x900 and the issues are corrected.

Any idea?

I'd guess a bad cable or a bad connection. If the video is stuttering at full resolution, it means that the system as a whole doesn't have enough bandwidth. Try a different HDMI port on your receiver first, and then switch out both of the cables.

Does your video card have a mini-HDMI port? I've had some issues with that port being finicky about the cable connection. mini-HDMI isn't nearly as stable as a physical connection as full HDMI.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
I run my hdmi from the PC to my 60'' plasma, then use fiber optic output from the TV to the receiver, seems to work flawlessly for me this way...

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
Thank you guys for the food for thought - I have a couple different cables ordered from newegg and I'll see how it goes. 1600x900 works flawlessly and is getting me bye.

If you haven't ever played games on 60", do it! My eyes are thanking me :p

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I run my hdmi from the PC to my 60'' plasma, then use fiber optic output from the TV to the receiver, seems to work flawlessly for me this way...

I was going to suggest this, or even a wireless dongle to use the network as samsung have some cool apps for their TVs...but I guess it could be an older model.....it does state on the receiver spec page that a high quality HDMI cable is needed to stream 1080 through....so yeah, could be the cable!

Kendray

Mar 27, 2013
I'm able to hook PC to TV using HDMI no problem, however I want to use my Receiver & speakers for the audio portion. I figured running HDMI cable from PC to Receiver-in, then HDMI from Receiver-out to the TV. I tried this last night but the video was studdering and there was no audio. Could it be the cable?

My Receiver
My TV
My PC specs are below.

Thanks in advance!

Its not all that great to hook up your pc to a plasma, Ive doen it before but will not leave it on the desktop just sitting there only becuase of the brn in. the newer plasmas have better burn in technology, but watching movies on that 60" plasma is bad ass i had a vierra 60" plasma but have now switched over to a sharp 60" aquos

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I set it mine up this way

HTPC HDMI > TV
HTPC Optical > Receiver

My Denon doesn't have HDMI sound passthru but to be honest, I'm not sure I would use it even if it did. I don't mind using it the way I have it (it's fine).

Not too anal about these things....

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
OP, are you wanting audio through your receiver's speakers? My guess is that your TV is on the wrong setting. Is there a PC mode or something like that?

What resolution is your video card outputting? On mine, I went to the TV resolutions and chose 1080p @ 60 Hz. I have an AMD card, so I'm not sure how the nvidia settings look.

If you don't have a BD player, then there shouldn't be any sound-quality difference between HDMI audio and digital optical audio.