PC rebooting when VGA reaches to 81C

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
HI guys how are you?

I`m here to help a friend, we are fom Brazil and he dows not speak english very well so i`m trying to help him

He have a GTX 770 AMP from Zotac and he uses just like me MSI afterburner, so when the GPU temp goes to 81C the PC reboots, no blue screen, nothing, just reboots, the fan profile is set to 100% and even with this profile the GPU is getting this temp

The PSU is a Seasonic , the 520W one of this link:

http://www.seasonicusa.com/S12II-Bronze.htm

Here the full specs of the VGA

Fq6PwT.jpg

So can you help us?

Thanks

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
Next think i would say is to try to downclock the GPU to it's base clock and see if it holds and not crash.

Afterburner or EVGA precision should be able to do it.

I took a quick look on Nvidia for 770 specs and it calls for a 600 watt minimum PSU for the whole system

If he has another PSU, or can borrow one that has more that 600 also ask him to try that.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

Thanks man

He ies now reaplying the thermal paste at the GPU, if it not solves he will downgrade the clock, and if still no resolve i will tell him to try another psu

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The PSU shouldnt be the issue at all.

Is it consistently at 81C? Or was it just a single observation?

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
The PSU shouldnt be the issue at all.

Is it consistently at 81C? Or was it just a single observation?

An observation, if we are playing no matter how much time, when the gpu is untill 80 the pc is on, when it reaches 81 it restarts at the same second

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It sounds more like some setting somewhere triggers it. Make sure you remove all 3rd party applications regarding GPU control.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I use a PC shutdown trigger when my card reaches 90c. Its built into RealTemp. Wonder if he has any similar software that may be doing that without his knowledge.

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
ah for gods sake just bring his GPU over to your PC, and be done with it

He lives something 500km distance from me :)

After reaplying the thermal paste at the VGA we played till now and the temps went really down, something about 10C and no reboot till now

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
I had a Zotac GTX 680 AMP edition and the temp never went above 70'C even with boost and overclock. Always kept a low fan curve too.

The GTX 770 is almost the same (if not the same) thing as a GTX 680.

Never had that problem. I was using a 1000watts+ PSU though. The funny thing though is, if a card reach is max temperature limit, it is suppose to throttle and not shut down.

A shut down is usually related to power issue. And mostly caused by a bad PSU. Or not strong enough PSU.
Or like Shintai said, maybe afterburner is triggering the shut down.

Thermal and Power Specs:
  • 98 C Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)
  • 230 W Graphics Card Power (W)
  • 600 W Minimum Recommended System Power (W)
  • One 8-pin and one 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

Last edited:

wsarahan

Mar 10, 2013
I had a Zotac GTX 680 AMP edition and the temp never went above 70'C even with boost and overclock. Always kept a low fan curve too.

The GTX 770 is almost the same (if not the same) thing as a GTX 680.

Never had that problem. I was using a 1000watts+ PSU though. The funny thing though is, if a card reach is max temperature limit, it is suppose to throttle and not shut down.

A shut down is usually related to power issue. And mostly caused by a bad PSU. Or not strong enough PSU.
Or like Shintai said, maybe afterburner is triggering the shut down.

I agree with you, i still think even with the lower temps now with the new thermal paste that the PSU is the issue, but he do not have any psu to test, so if worked replacing thermal paste is ok for him for now, but i think that this bronze 520 PSU will not last long

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
1. Download HWMonitor and look at your 12V and 3.3V rails when the CPU is loaded in LinX, OCCT or Prime95. You should isolate that CPU is not the problem here. Check your max load CPU temperatures in HW Monitor and stability with Small FTTs when 100% stressed for 12 hours at least. Make sure the 12V doesn't drop to 11.02 and 3.3 doesn't go below 3.17V. That helps us gauge how well the PSU has aged.

2. Tell him to clean the dust from his CPU and GPU fans.

3. Tell him to reset his memory timings to more loose settings. However, this can be taken care off with general CPU/platform stress testing.

The 520W PSU is more than sufficient if it's working properly. I ran max overclocked i7 860 and 470 on it without issues. Also, even tried max overclocked 7970 and i5 2500k; again 0 problems.