PC Power and cooling silencer 750 watt dead =(

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
Well after almost 9 years of service my power supply finally died. I decided to replace it with an EVGA 750watt supernova G2. I only have one power supply that's older still in service (a 600 watt Seasonic S12). It gave good service may it RIP.

joecop120

Jul 26, 2007
Well, my condolences. I stumbled across this post after having a fan bearing seize up on mine. Not 100% sure where I can get a cheap replacement tri blade 80mm Delta ....

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
RIP little silencer.

Mine is entering its 8th year of use. I only had to replace the fan because the bearing had gone bad, apart from that it's been a great PSU since day one. I found a sunon maglev 80mm for cheap locally at the time, and it's still going strong.

dtgoodwin

Jun 5, 2009
My first and only PCP&C, a Silencer 275 (the max output at the time for the Silencer line) was purchased about 15-16 years ago. Until two years ago it was still powering one of my machines. Albeit with adapters for everything. For the past two years it was running a P4 Williamette with 8 hard drives. I'm sure the 12 volt rail was at or beyond it's rated limit, but it never gave me the slightest grief. I only buy Seasonic's as they were the OEM back then. Wish they were still the same company they once were.

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
The Mark III silencers are decent PSU's but when I bought my 750 Quad it was one of if not the best PSU on the market. Considering how long it lasted I've been happy with it, but I do like my new PSU better as it's fully modular which made installing it much easier.

302efi

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
My 7-8 year old Silencer 610w still works flawlessly ;)

Is there any company thats equal to the quality of the older PC P&C ? I just purchased a 290x and I know my 610w will struggle with this, but I'm not sure where to look as far a comparable PSU.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
My 7-8 year old Silencer 610w still works flawlessly ;)

Is there any company thats equal to the quality of the older PC P&C ? I just purchased a 290x and I know my 610w will struggle with this, but I'm not sure where to look as far a comparable PSU.

Several top manufacturers do it better today than PCP&C did it back then (though it's a common misconception that PCP&C manufactured their own units; your Silencer 610W is a Seasonic inside). Here's where I'd look if I wanted top quality:

Seasonic's Gold and Platinum units are excellent throughout, not just their self-branded units but also units like Corsair AX series and XFX XTR's. Super Flower makes high end Gold and Platinum units for Rosewill (Capstone series) and EVGA (G2 and P2 series). Then you've also got Corsair RM units which aren't flawless but quite low noise and very passable if you catch them on a sale. Corsair's AXi series is also top notch (made by Flextronics), and you've got the Platinum rated HXi series too (made by CWT), but these tend to cost a premium that's hard to justify.

For a single 290X, you'll want a 650W unit, possibly even 750W if you're planning on overclocking and/or your CPU is a power hog. If you're buying from newegg, EVGA 750 G2 is a super good deal at only $90 AR with 10 year warranty and a 9.8/10 score by JonnyGuru. Comparable quality Seasonic-made units are $20-25 more expensive for 750W, or the same $90 for a 650W one (X-650, SSR-650RM, XFX 650W XTR).

Last edited: