PC out to TV flickering


Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I've always had an HDMI cable running to my TV from my desktop for gaming and for some PC work. But we just got a new TV and switching to the TV from the PC (via an HDMI splitter) is causing the image from the PC to flicker. What causes this typically and what settings can I check on the TV and PC to stop it from happening?

Thanks for any help!


Senior member
Sep 7, 2012
I would make sure you are running the correct refresh for the tv and you might want to try a different port on the tv. You saying the problem is only with the signal from the PC? Consult the manual about the ports, one might be ARC etc.. Also you might try bypassing the splitter. Just a few random ideas

Windows 11 -> settings -> display -> advanced display..


Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
PC specs would be helpful. Particularly which video card is being used. A displayport to HDMI adapter might be a better solution vs a splitter. Perhaps it's a bandwidth or signaling issue. I presume the HDMI cable is capable of 4K 60Hz or whatever your TV is capable of?
  • Like
Reactions: tinpanalley

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I know this is a couple weeks old, but one thing you mentioned that I don't see anyone else comment on is that you said the PC is going through a HDMI splitter. Did you ever try going direct to the TV? Also did you try changing which port the TV was connected to the splitter? I suspect the issue is a difference in capabilities between the other device on the splitter and the TV, as only one output device will be used as the master with it's capabilities sent down back to the graphics card settings/capabilities. Simply swapping things around might get you a working situation with the TV (I had to do this with my setup as my cable box goes to a HDMI splitter with one going to the TV and the other going to an HDMI capture device for recording/live view TV on my HTPC, and it only works if the TV is on the correct port on the HDMI splitter so that it is the "master").