PC online card games (like Magic: The Gathering)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Craig234, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Craig234

Craig234 Lifer

What's a good online card game (like Magic, not like Poker)?

I'd be interested in easy to use/play, casual, fun, for adults.

There are a lot out there from M:TG to Everquest and Warcraft to original designs, but I'm not familiar with the market, and think it'd be fun to try one very casually.

I'm not looking for one that needs a lot of time spent learning the thousands of nuances and building competitive decks for long periods of time to have fun.

2. Loading...

3. LumbergTech

LumbergTech Diamond Member

you can play magic casually or hardcore

its up to you..

i recommend it, there are simple decks and there are hard decks..

if you really dont care and really want to play casually there is actually a free mtg program

4. Magusigne

Magusigne Golden Member

I agree.. I've always been a magic player, it is a great game that transcends age and will be around for a long time.

Plus..I'm not sure your age etc but getting groups of friends together to play is fun as well.

MTGO online is very fun..the client is really stable and in general you can have ALMOST as fun trading e-cards and what not. Good community

5. CrazyLazy

CrazyLazy Platinum Member

If you want to play more MTG, MTGO or MWS are your best bet. Also try Magic the Gathering Shandlar if you want something different. Old game, but definitely fun.

6. Craig234

Craig234 Lifer

Thanks to each responder. What is MWS?

IBTNOA (It's Best To Not Overuse Acronyms)

7. Pia

Pia Golden Member

Card games? I have personally been itching to play Kongai. Lack of time... :(
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/Kongregate/kongai

The brains behind it belong to David Sirlin, responsible for e.g. Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix on the 360. Rarely do I see a person so obviously determined to make good games. Take a peek here if interested:
    http://www.sirlin.net/

One more thing: you won't be nickel and dimed to death. It's free. Apparently you get access to more cards from completing achievements in Kongregate's simpler flash games, but the majority of those are easy to do. There aren't a ton of different cards, which means there isn't so much to memorize, and the actual playing is that much more accessible.

I used to play cardboard MtG. I quit because 1) way too much time sunk in collecting the cards I needed, 2) way too much time sunk in building the decks, 3) expansions kept rolling in and at this point I'd have to familiarize myself with 1000's of new cards to play, 4) it cost too much for what it was. I wanted to get an idea, and then play and tune the deck. The friction from acquiring, sorting, sleeving cards and the relentless expansion treadmill was too much.

8. BadRobot

BadRobot Senior member

I'm such a huge nerd, i love playign card games liek this but its such afreaking money sync, but i think im about to start playing mtgo again i cant get away from it =(

9. CrazyLazy

CrazyLazy Platinum Member

Sorry, MWS stands for Magic Workstation. It's a bit like MTGO only the cards/game are totally free.