Question PC not booting and goes off suddenly, no beep codes

legion501

Apr 30, 2019
Hello there, I need help with a computer that jus goes off, not sure if is the CPU, memory or

I have this PC of my dad:

Intel Pentieum G4400
Gigabyte Ga-H110M-DS2 REV 1.0
Adata XPG Z1 4GB 2400MHz
Generic PSU 700w

Just goes off suddenly, sometimes is pass POST stay on for few minutes and then it goes off or restart, there is no real pattern here.

I have made this tests:

Changed the PSU to a working one. Still the same issues: with RAM goes off after one or two seconds after pressing the power button or stay on for few minutes and then it goes off. Without RAM it makes 5 beeps and goes off or restart.
Tested the original PSU on other system (mine that I'm using rigth now) and is working fine.
Cleaned memory sockets (only has 2) and cleaned memory module with an eraser and alcohol; sometimes it stays on for a few minutes and then goes off, other times just try to stay on but after a second after pressing the power button it goes off.
Disconnecting optical drive, HDD, mouse, keyboard and just letting the processor and HS and turning it on with a screwdriver; sometimes it makes 5 beeps and restart or goes off, other times just try to get on but after a second it goes completely off.

I don't have other memory module to test but no sure if this is the problem. Since the PC can't stay on I can't do a memory test long enough to know is the memory is failing.

My bet are the motherboard or the CPU but I'm not sure how to test them. I don't have spare components to try more test.

Some suggestions on what can I do with this?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I've not heard of a processor stumbling like that, a mboard sure, but not a cpu. I suspect a short between the case and the board. I see you breadboarded the system but you left it in the case ?

Motherboard out of the case, resting on a non-conductive surface like a piece of cardboard.

No Video Card, even if there are no integrated graphics.

If the fault remains, I suspect the board is the culprit. Perhaps time for a decent burial .

legion501

Apr 30, 2019
I've not heard of a processor stumbling like that, a mboard sure, but not a cpu. I suspect a short between the case and the board. I see you breadboarded the system but you left it in the case ?

Motherboard out of the case, resting on a non-conductive surface like a piece of cardboard.

No Video Card, even if there are no integrated graphics.

If the fault remains, I suspect the board is the culprit. Perhaps time for a decent burial .
Yes, is out of the case, I'm working on the box of the motherboard to makes the tests.

No GPU, just the integrated graphics, HS and RAM. I turn it on with a screwdriver (I don't have a external power button to connect to the power pins).

And yes, someone told me that the motherboard is the one that should be dead, not the CPU, maybe if it was overheating but I don't think so.

So now a friend of mine has a compatible motherboard with the processor so he will help me to test it and be sure the mobo is dead.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yep, probably just need a new board.

I had this board, an ASRock AB350M Pro4, I had several of them, actually, but this particular one was used for mining, and temps got pretty high in that rig, and the board kinda puked.

I had it in the "dead board" pile, but then I remembered, that I mostly tried it out with APUs, and that particular board isn't very compatible with APUs. So I tried it with a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, it booted OK, with a moderate video card, and I even overclocked it to 3.8Ghz, then installed Windows 10 to a 240GB SSD. Still OK.

Figuring that it was "good" in that configuration (with 16GB of GSkill DDR4-3000 RAM, too), I put it into a case for my friend, we restored his old Win7 64-bit backup onto it, activated it, installed Win10, still seemed good.

Took it over to his place and left it with him, within like 6 hours, he was complaining about reboots and stuff.

I went over the next day, and worked on it, and it kept getting worse and worse. A cheap Chinese USB3.0 7-port hub with AC adapter, was back-feeding +5V into the board through a USB3.0 port too, which probably didn't help matters much.

So, after swapping PSUs, seemingly with success, and then more issues, I finally decided that it was the board, and to just get him another board.

Suck, but what can you do about a dead board?