PC making a comeback...but AMD never mentioned?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
So read this report in the news about how the PC industry is making a comeback and credit is being given to Micron, Nvidia, and Intel, but no mention at all of AMD! Check it out:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/05/cra...|finance|headline|story|&par=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

How can any resurgence of the PC be mentioned without acknowledging AMD's contribution? It's like they just want to ignore it completely even though it has been doing phenomenal under Lisa Su. What gives?

Aug 11, 2008
They should be gaining market share as time goes on, but it is really too soon for AMD to have had much if any effect on overall cpu revenue. They still have almost no presence in the server market, and their notebook and general desktop revenue gains are just beginning with the APUs finally coming out. Despite the love for it in these forums, Ryzen without an igpu is really a niche product. It is the apus (and of course server chips) that have a chance to make a bid dent in the overall picture of corporate, educational, and general consumer PCs.

As far as stock prices are concerned, a lot of the anticipated growth has already been priced into the stock. After all, it has already increased what 5 or 6 fold from the lows of just a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
The reality distortion field that exists around AMD on tech forums doesn't exist in the real world were people are investing serious money.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Its stock price refuses to break out like the other companies...i guess thats just the fate of AMD until it gets quarter after quarter of solid growth.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Its stock price refuses to break out like the other companies...i guess thats just the fate of AMD until it gets quarter after quarter of solid growth.
Well since AMD does now have really nice APUs and CPUs out, it will take awhile for the stock prices to increase if AMD can keep up.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The stock price is more reactive to earnings. That remains to be seen.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

AMD's stock price has sextupled in just over two years ...

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It is Not a Technology issue.

Humanity goes through periods in History

There was (examples) the Crusades, Black Plagues, World Wars, and Rock N' Roll.

This period in History is the period of None tangible Reality, it is not what it is, it what we "want" it to be,

As a result we do not have One reality but Schizo Multiple "None reality Realities", and to each his own.:eek:

:cool:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
In 2015, the price was $11.91/sh. Today, the high was $12.04/sh.
"Sextupled?"

Yes, sextupled. In 2015 the share price was most assuredly not $11.91. On Feb 1 2016 it was worth $2.14. It dipped below 2 bucks a few days later.

edit: That's around the time I almost bought it. Should have :(

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Hindsight is great. My number was wrong. Here you can see the whole enchilada for the years you want. In the last 2 years it quadrupled. But, a lot of that was the entire market inflating. AMD has made some good contributions for sure, EPS is still the ruler. Also, one must consider the source - CNBC. :)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yes, sextupled. In 2015 the share price was most assuredly not $11.91. On Feb 1 2016 it was worth $2.14. It dipped below 2 bucks a few days later.

edit: That's around the time I almost bought it. Should have :(

AMD's stock price shot up big in 2016, but it's been relatively flat since January 2017. Compare that to Nvidia's and Intel's returns over the past year, and AMD's stock chart looks kind of sad in comparison.

Zen is cool and all, but it doesn't seemed to have helped earnings as much as hoped.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
AMD's stock price shot up big in 2016, but it's been relatively flat since January 2017. Compare that to Nvidia's and Intel's returns over the past year, and AMD's stock chart looks kind of sad in comparison.

Zen is cool and all, but it doesn't seemed to have helped earnings as much as hoped.
Well maybe the new APUs will help stock prices.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well maybe the new APUs will help stock prices.

I only see that happening if they can get some major design wins and start getting mainstream laptops to use those processors instead of Intel's.

Remember, Intel sells a hell of a lot more laptop processors than desktop processors nowadays.