PC hangs and hard disk errors in event viewer

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Hello all,

I have windows 10 installed on a Kingston 240 GB SSD. Now, every once in awhile when I boot the computer will hang. I have control of my mouse cursor, but I can't click any icons, cntrl alt-delete doesn't work ect. I twas happening so rarely that I didn't investigate it, but recently I was playing final fantasy xv and the game hung. The computer was totally unresponsive to any input, the framerate display just said 0 but the music kept playing, and it wasn't in loop either. So then I decided to investigate it more and noticed i nthe vent viewer that I had a bunch of errors dating back a few months now riddled with hard disk errors. It pointed to my OS drive, which is the Kingston.

I ran chkdsk and it found errors and it appeared to get rid of them. I tested it out and found I wasn't getting these errors during gameplay. It should be noted that my games are on a different SSD.

However I decided to run a full virus scan and the errors popped up again.. Perhaps because it went through every file in my c drive. Now, I set it again to run chkdsk for the next time I boot my computer. I've ordered a new Western Digital Blue 500 GB SSD that I intend to make the new OS drive.

I'd like to format this drive though and throw games on it if possible, but do you guys think this drive is dying? It's a few years old now at this point. I've included a screenshot of my log and crystal disk. Note that it has quiet a few retired blocks, but according to crystal disk it is in great health.

YrSO2D0.png

rOFhD7K.png

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
This might be a long shot (and way too easy for it to work), but have tried a different SATA cable, and make sure it's inserted fully on both ends?

I recently had my SSD not show up in Windows after switching to another case, and while it was inserted into the motherboard's SATA, I had accidentally tugged on it slightly when routing my cables . It was such a slight thing (it was still clicked into the port, but not even on both sides), but enough to prevent the PC from seeing it.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
This might be a long shot (and way too easy for it to work), but have tried a different SATA cable, and make sure it's inserted fully on both ends?

I recently had my SSD not show up in Windows after switching to another case, and while it was inserted into the motherboard's SATA, I had accidentally tugged on it slightly when routing my cables . It was such a slight thing (it was still clicked into the port, but not even on both sides), but enough to prevent the PC from seeing it.
Well it's certainly plugged in because my OS is on this drive, so it just wouldn't boot. Perhaps the cable could be causing errors though. I don't have any spare sata cables at the moment, but I can always unplug one of my other drives to test.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well it's certainly plugged in because my OS is on this drive, so it just wouldn't boot. Perhaps the cable could be causing errors though. I don't have any spare sata cables at the moment, but I can always unplug one of my other drives to test.

It's worth a shot before doing the other ideas you stated, and its happened here before. Really make sure the connectors are really in there good, and even (look for one side out just a little bit further than the other one).

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
It's worth a shot before doing the other ideas you stated, and its happened here before. Really make sure the connectors are really in there good, and even (one side out just a little bit further than the other one).
Okay, i'll give it a shot. Does my crystal disk look good? I'm seeing 35 retired blocks, but the threshold is 3. So that is a bit of a concern.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Okay, i'll give it a shot. Does my crystal disk look good? I'm seeing 35 retired blocks, but the threshold is 3. So that is a bit of a concern.

I didn't personally see anything that was a major concern. Generally when SSDs die, it's fast and with little (If any) warning. What you've experienced is closer to a HDD beginning its death march, so that's why I recommended a new cable/re-seat), or even a different SATA port all together (Intel or AMD one), and not a 3rd party one like Asmedia.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
I didn't personally see anything that was a major concern. Generally when SSDs die, it's fast and with little (If any) warning. What you've experienced is closer to a HDD beginning its death march, so that's why I recommended a new cable/re-seat), or even a different SATA port all together (Intel or AMD one), and not a 3rd party one like Asmedia.
I think I forgot to mention my other specs. i7700 k with an MSI Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON motherboard.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think I forgot to mention my other specs. i7700 k with an MSI Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON motherboard.

Just look at your manual, and make sure they're in Intel ports, and not whatever 3rd party chip they use in your board.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Just look at your manual, and make sure they're in Intel ports, and not whatever 3rd party chip they use in your board.
By the looks of the manual I only have Intel ports:

Intel® Z270 Chipset
y 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports*
y 2x M.2 slots (Key M)
ƒ Support up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
ƒ Support PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe U.2 SSD with Turbo U.2 Host
Card**
ƒ M2_1 slot supports 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage
devices
ƒ M2_2 slot supports 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices
ƒ Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready for all M.2 slots
y Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology for Intel
Core™ processors
* M.2 and SATA ports maximum support 1x M.2 PCIe SSD + 1x M.2 SATA SSD
+ 5x SATA HDDs. Please refer to page 34 for M.2 slots with examples of
various combination possibilities.
** The Turbo U.2 Host Card is not included, please purchase separately.

The only mention of asmedia is for USB:

ASMedia® ASM2142 Chipset
ƒ 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) Type-C port
on the back panel
ƒ 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) Type-A port
on the back panel
y Intel® Z270 Chipset
ƒ 8x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (4 Type-A
ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the
internal USB connectors)
ƒ 6x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on
the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal
USB connectors)

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Update here, I switched sata cables and made sure it was snug. I'm still getting errors In the log. I' backing up that drive now and creating a windows install that im going to install on my Samsung.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Too bad, but it was worth a shot before doing all of that.

I don't have much experience with Kingston SSDs, so maybe some other owners have run into issues like you are dealing with, and can give some advice.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Too bad, but it was worth a shot before doing all of that.

I don't have much experience with Kingston SSDs, so maybe some other owners have run into issues like you are dealing with, and can give some advice.
The drive is probably 5 years old. So, it may just be kicking the bucket. My os install should be on this Samsung 850 evo anyway.

Reactions: UsandThem