PC gaming on a 42 inch or 47 inch 1080p?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
well I had a general understanding that plasmas are vastly superior in terms of IQ, but I thought that included the black level (i.e. correlated to contrast)?

either way, thanks for good input. my second question was actually pointing to the fact that many of the LCDs (VAs in particular) are plagued with input lags due to extra processing - a whole new can of worms from response times.

For me an lcd was the answer due to size and res (needed 32'' 1080p for desktop stuff) and was a bit worried about image retention. still, sometimes I wonder how it would have worked out if I had gotten me a plasma instead.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
konakona, great point about image retention. This is why I use the plasma in the living room and the LCD for PC. However, if you only turn on the plasma to play movies or games, then the image retention will be less of a problem imo. I think today the trends have reversed though where a good quality LCD actually costs more $ once you start increasing the sizes. I just love the $1k premiums for 3D TVs though hehe. Marketing at its finest.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
I game on a 1080p 50" Panasonic plasma and it looks stunning, I have not noticed any lag at all either. I have used it for web browsing but I try to keep that to a minimum just in case, the most severe image retention I had on it was when my girlfriends brother left the cable box on the menu screen all day while we were at work. I came back and the menu had left an after image on the screen but after about a hour of gaming and watching tv it was cleared up.

I dont think I would go with an LCD/LED tv when I buy a new one because I have been so impressed with this plasma that unless something comes along that can compete with the IQ and also offer other advantages like power saving and no image retention worries I am not going to switch.