PC Gaming is Dead

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I think a bare minimum PC required to play many games will still be more expensive. Going to Dell's website, entry level desktop is 399 without a monitor. That's an X2 with 4200 graphics. You'll get more flexibility from the PC, but an inferior gaming experience than a console.

I like this.

Last edited:

Knytestorme

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah, there are some very valid points made in here and I do love me some steam bargains but I do think there is one thing that is really needed for PC gaming to take back off and compete with the consoles in the hearts and minds of gamers: a compelling gaming franchise.

For me, the choice of what to buy has always been to tell people to buy the system with the most games they want to play but if they want to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Halo, Gran Turismo, MGS then their choice is made for them and that is where PC gaming now falls down...there is no gaming franchise that is PC exclusive.

Yes, things like Flight Sim and Silent Hunter give a niche group a reason to go for PC but at the end of the day people (or parents :p) will buy the system that has the game they have to have. Fix that issue and PC gaming starts to get back on some equal footing but it won't happen, budgets now are to the point where things have to go multi-platform unless they are first-party system sellers and that is a niche that can't be filled by any company that supports PC's.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not saying that PC gaming is dead, in fact, I play a lot of games on my PC and do prefer the PC experience. I'm just saying that the PC experience is converging with the console experience. The prevalence of cross-platform games pretty much means that games will be targeted to the aged hardware of consoles. Sure, PC users, like they do now, can up the resolution and/or change AA and AF, but they're probably not going to get a drastically different gaming experience. I think it's a shame, but the compute power of the PC above and beyond the console of its respective generation will more than likely go to waste.

I'm very excited for the next gen of consoles to be released, not because I'm a huge console fan, but because I recognize that it will likely mean a whole slew of newer and more capable games will be released for PC. That's the reality of the situation.

Unless Consoles come out with a keyboard and mouse solution, it would be completely different.

Just imagine getting owned in every FPS ever on a console.

Then imagine getting owned in Diablo 3.

Then imagine getting owned in Starcraft 2.

With keyboard and mouse, then you have an issue of table space and then... it becomes a PC if you hook it up to a smaller higher resolution monitor.

Which is fine, but that just means that consoles will become dedicated gaming PCs.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Nothing has changed over the last twenty years so I think the doom and gloom is unwarranted. Don't you remember playing Kings Quest 5, Space Quest 4, Wizardy 7, Zork 3, Ultima 5, Monkey Island 3, etc? People have been trying to copy successful things as long as we have been people.

All of those are originals or sequels. Anyone can walk into the software area of stores and see that pc gaming is not anything like it once was. Consumers just want to play the game as easy as possible ,they don't care about what they use to do it, if consoles provide that then that is what they will use.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Nothing has changed over the last twenty years so I think the doom and gloom is unwarranted. Don't you remember playing Kings Quest 5, Space Quest 4, Wizardy 7, Zork 3, Ultima 5, Monkey Island 3, etc? People have been trying to copy successful things as long as we have been people.

Any idea when Zork IV will be released? I'm staring to think it's vaporware...