PC Games in iPod?

Jumpman23

Sep 15, 2007
I was wondering if it was possible to install PC games in an iPod with 80gb of hard drive space and bring that to me where ever I go and just plug it in and play it on any computer.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I successfully did something similar to that with WoW once, load times were horrible, but it worked.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
RBUtil to load the rockbox freeware, opensource, firmware onto your ipod.

That firmware will allow you to play more games on it (and adds several new features like FLAC support). I was able to get Doom (the original, not 3:p) working on my ipod with it.

i think he meant using it as a external drive and playing the game off it that way.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
AFAIK you can use the iPod as a mass storage device (like an external hard drive) for regular files. It's just that any music loaded that way isn't playable.
IOW, yes you should be able to put games on it to play elsewhere. However, it depends on whether the game will run from the drive without needing to be installed or anything first.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
And performance in general would be choppy but yeah its possible it just depens on whether the game can run with the install files alone and doesn't need the usual registry entries and whatnot.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Jumpman23
So the game doesn't have to be registered in the Window's registry to be able to play?

Some games do, some don't. It really depends on the game.