PC game review

GSquadron

Sep 8, 2012
I want to know what makes a good pc game review for you
What are important aspects and why would you love/hate a game review

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I really don't use reviews as I know if I will like and/or want a game most the time after watching some gameplay videos and reading what kind of features/stuff it has. The only thing I find reviews helpful for is to point on the negatives. I should point out as well that when I do look for reviews/impressions it is not from journalist or websites but normal gamers. They can point out the negatives (even if exaggerated) and rip a game a new one without any fear of hurting the dev/pub feelings and while a lot of them go overboard in one way or another, they at least do highlight the issues and I can determine from there normally how much of an issue I see it as.

I'm pretty sure anyone that has been gaming for quite a few years now can do most the same (watch some gameplay read a short description) and know if they want the game or not.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't have many fixed rules, it's a bottom line of fun while playing usually.

There are games I have a high opinion of the effort but don't enjoy though.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
less fluff and more details about problems/strengths. Give the reader an idea of how the game plays not just generic "this is a fantasy game where you level heroes and build cities."

Don't review a game after 4 hours of /played

if its a multiplayer-focused game don't play singleplayer for 30 hours and then write a review.

Either do a written review or written + video, don't just have a video review

in recent years I tend to read user reviews on metacritic, especially the ones that aren't 10's and 0's, as the players seem to understand the game more and give you a good idea of what its like compared to reading 5 pages of fluff on ign from some journalist who knows how to write well but didn't really play the game enough

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Exactly what they liked, didnt like, and why.

Also if you start your review on graphics, or spend too much page space on graphics as opposed to game play, then I know you are not someone who sees games like I do, and I dont care about your opinion.