pc freezes loading windows motherboard or cpu cause

Marcolou

Aug 18, 2012
hi I just bought a new 4690k and an asrock z97 extreme 6 it was working then all of a sudden it won't boot into windows I can get into bios but when trying to load windows it freezes when the small circle appears
weather its from the usb install or the harddrive witch already has windows installed I tried all kinds of troube shooting all hardware works fine with another mobo cpu combo I have amd got it down to either motherboard or cpu also sometimes it won't let me by the boot screen it says trouble starting last few times press f2 or delete to enter bios
thanks for any help

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Use BIOS defaults & make sure you're using AHCI instead of IDE for the hard drive parameters. If the problem persists, it sounds like a failing hard drive or corrupt boot sector..

Last edited:

Marcolou

Aug 18, 2012
its not the hard drive its anew 256gb Samsung evo plus I get the same thing freezes at the same point trying to reinstall with from usb boot drive im using the hard drive now as I type this all components mem psu hd's work fine in an amd system system seems bricked some how would a bad cpu cuase that or mobo ? again I tried all kinds of trouble shooting putting mobo outside case duel bios tried both reinstalled cpu heeatsink not overheating in bios low 30's screwy thing I tried the cpu and cache at 8 multiplier same thing im leaning towards motherboard being bad thanks for reply?

Marcolou

Aug 18, 2012
tried clearing bios multiple times also has dual bios same thing both bios's tried al kinds of different bios selections it does the same thing when trying a fresh install from usb drive that also works fine stops the same place window logo comes on starts loading then when the small circle starts it freezes same place sometimes it will say repairing windows and freeze thanks again
also took out battery overnight been working on this all weekend? plus i'm using the same windows install for the amd system that was originally installed on the asrock i5 setup without issue played bf3 few time and other games no problem

Last edited:

Marcolou

Aug 18, 2012
yes tried ahci same issue with usb flash drive psu antec 620 eco new using it now in amd system. did all kinds of trouble shouting over the weekend actually i'm kind of positive it's the motherboard or cpu flaked out want to start rma but not sure which one is faulty thanks again
footnote all parts except motherboard and cpu swapped out working great have amd 7950 played bf3 for hour or so on amd system more then once and web other games no glitches tried the intel with onboard graphics the
cpu cache and multiplier at X8 same deal sometime it throws me into bios sometimes says system hasn't booted correctly press f2 or delete doesn't respond have to restart it

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
You should also either remove the bootable USB flash drive when you're attempting a boot off the SSD or go into BIOS in the Boot Order/Boot Priority section and move the SSD to the first (highest) priority boot.

Marcolou

Aug 18, 2012
done all that tried every different thing I can think of down to faulty cpu or motherboard
I think it's the motherboard if it was the cpu it would probably reboot or blue screen no?
or freeze at a different spots ? thanks

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What were you doing with the computer between the time last time it booted and the time it didn't?

Can you be more specifics about what parts are in the computer?

If you remove anything usb/audio, is the boot any better?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

A lot of the drivers are loaded at the phase you speak of, so it would be hard to pinpoint without access to some log files.

If safe mode doesn't work, you might try going into the bios and disabling non-essential devices.

Have you ever tried installation from a dvd?

Marcolou

Aug 18, 2012
no only thing I didn't try was booting from dvd I was using windows with that motherboard and cpu fresh install worked fine until this started and it usually boots to the screen where it gives you the option to load drivers but it doesn't make it that far I pressed the reset button located on the back panel and tried a beta bios then it flaked out also the bios has a secure boot option I am not familiar with I tried clearing it disabled and enabled strange it seems to mostly stop at that same spot when the circle starts once in awhile it while kick me into bios screen or restart every once in awhile I thought the button might have got stuck but when I took it out of the case it seemed to press in and out pretty normally thanks oh no took it out of the case on cardboard box with just the basics mouse keyboard one hard drive only the usb windows 8 pro 64 bit install disk system specs are 620 antec eco. sapphire 7950. 8gb Samsung low profile mem. Samsung evo 256gb. Plextor m5s 128gb. samsung 1 tb hd. intel 4690k. asrock z97 extreme6. Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler. razor tiapan mouse. microsoft sidewinder keyboard. asus bt400 usb Bluetooth. samsung dvd tsst corp burner. fios modem. for the most part it freezes at the same spot weather its loading windows or usb install drive once in awhile it will say repairing windows then freeze all parts are working fine with a amd 720 and asus m5a97 evo I had lying around im pretty sure its not my parts all brand names had good luck with them bios seems to work fine for the most part it picks up my hardware by name tried outside of case with bare minimum just usb device no case power reset wires on the motherboard same issue though bios might be hosed but has duel bios same issue thanks

Last edited:

Sentry38

Nov 15, 2018
Hello, I've encountered the same problem and have no idea what to do. I've tried different Graphics card and RAM, but nothing helped. How did you, in the end, solve this problem?

Thanks!