• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question pc files erased after hooking to macbook

Dal777

Aug 8, 2021
Hello, I've been using an external SSD for my resolve file storage. My pc was shut down and on my way for vacation, so I just removed the SSD from the pc while it was shut down. On vacation, I hooked to MacBook to dump footage from iPhone 12 Pro Max, so I hooked iPhone to MacBook and SSD and used "Image Capture Alias" to get images from iPhone. Then after vacation when I hooked to pc to my utter surprise the SSD was saying it was empty like it was formatted. Is there any chance I can recover data?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Methinks that you missed a "drive is not formatted - format now (y/n)?" prompt somewhere along the way on the Mac.

Or, Mac being Mac, maybe it just auto-formatted it for you.

Regardless, the odds are VERY slim that you could recover much. SSDs are not like HDDs.

Dal777

Aug 8, 2021
Thanks guys thankfully its not a huge deal, well at least i dont think i had any files that i dont have copies of. the only thing is ill have to remember what videos i was working on in resolve. Also need to research to make sure this never happens again. thanks again God bless!

ASK THE COMMUNITY