Baha1973

Dec 29, 2016
Hi every one
Recently I buy an RTX 4090 about one week ago.
I Asking about compatibility as bottle nick of the GPU with other components.
The system components as below :
- Case : Cooler master H500M
- MB: MSI X470 carbon pro.
- CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
- RAM: 64 GB 3200 but worked as 2400 I don't why ?
- PCI Express 1TB
- Power supply: Corsair RM850X
- Monitor : Aorus FI32U 4k 144Hz.
- GPU : Aorus RTX 4090 Master.
Is the above components especially CPU , RAM and Power supply make Bottle-Nike with the GPU and is their need to upgrade to Ryzen 9 7900X or not?
Thanks ...

Reactions: HardWarrior

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
If there were an aspect of your rig that I'd consider questionable it would be your PSU. Depending on the usual system variations (overclock, support hardware, systems primary use, etc.) I'd think at least a 1000W unit to be a better bet for a bit of safety.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You certainly would need a higher wattage PSU, as mentioned. Your CPU would also be a bit of a bottleneck, even at 4k I suspect, but that could be helped by upgrading the 3900X to a Zen 3 such as 5900X or 5950X. The new CPU might also help you run your RAM faster, with a bit of tweaking. Remember the CPU upgrade may require a BIOS update to your X470 board.

Reactions: ZGR

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
At 4K an older CPU won't cause a bottleneck that necessitates an upgrade. Here're TPU results. Albeit they're using a 3080, but 4K is GPU bound for almost every title to the end extent that you would need a particularly old CPU to kill performance.

1673667375859.png

A 3900X is 96.3% of the performance of the top end CPU. Even going up to a 5800X3D which is still the best gaming CPU for some select titles is paying several hundred dollars for an almost imperceptible difference in performance.

The RAM issue is probably worth investigating more than anything else. I'm assuming that some settings can fix that, and probably provide more of an uplift in performance than buying something new could.

Long term, a new board and CPU will help, but you can wait a few years for AM5 to mature or for Intel to launch their next platform.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I recommend switching the Zen 2 part for a Zen 3 CPU. You’ll get much improved 1% lows, average fps isn’t everything and notably TPU often omits these graphs. In the end Zen 3 is much smoother when used with high end GPUs. That was true for me and I’m “only” using a overclocked 2080 Ti.

Reactions: ZGR and Shmee

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
At 4K an older CPU won't cause a bottleneck that necessitates an upgrade. Here're TPU results. Albeit they're using a 3080, but 4K is GPU bound for almost every title to the end extent that you would need a particularly old CPU to kill performance.

View attachment 74573

A 3900X is 96.3% of the performance of the top end CPU. Even going up to a 5800X3D which is still the best gaming CPU for some select titles is paying several hundred dollars for an almost imperceptible difference in performance.

The RAM issue is probably worth investigating more than anything else. I'm assuming that some settings can fix that, and probably provide more of an uplift in performance than buying something new could.

Long term, a new board and CPU will help, but you can wait a few years for AM5 to mature or for Intel to launch their next platform.

TPU almost never tests with ray tracing on though, and RT is very CPU intensive.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ah, I just noticed that your PSU is a Corsair 850W. For some reason, when I first replied, I was confusing it with the case, so I was thinking it was a 500W Coolermaster. So your PSU will likely be fine, as long as it is not too old. If it is a bit older though, since you are spending money on the 4090, it may be wise to invest in a good 1000W unit, as a safe measure.

Again, since you have a 4090, may as well upgrade the CPU to a Zen 3, it is an easy and relatively cheap drop in upgrade. We all realize that 4k is generally more GPU bound, but as mentioned above, a good Zen 3 chip will be smoother, and have higher lows. Also, if you can afford a 4090, why not a Zen 3 upgrade? I figure may as well, especially since you may be able to get a good deal on a used 5900X or 5950X.

Reactions: CP5670
Jul 27, 2020
- RAM: 64 GB 3200 but worked as 2400 I don't why ?

Is the above components especially CPU , RAM and Power supply make Bottle-Nike with the GPU and is their need to upgrade to Ryzen 9 7900X or not?
Thanks ...
I think the easiest upgrade would be to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D. Just update to the latest BIOS and then you can drop in the 5800X3D into your mobo's CPU socket. I'm not sure if you require the extra cores on the 3900X. If not, then 5800X3D is a good upgrade path. If for some reason you do need the extra threads, then 5900X or 5950X may be your only options. Regarding memory, you may need to fiddle with the memory options to make it run at its advertised speed. Or turn XMP on if there is that option in your mobo's BIOS.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011

View attachment 74573

That chart doesn’t tell the whole story. He might be able to get by at 4k with that cpu. But the frame time and 1% lows will suffer

seasodaweb

Mar 2, 2023
Congrats on your new RTX 4090, that's a sweet graphics card! From what you've shared, your system looks pretty solid overall. Your MSI X470 Carbon Pro motherboard and Ryzen 9 3900X processor should be a good match for the RTX 4090. As for the RAM, it's a little strange that it's running at 2400 instead of 3200, you might want to check your BIOS settings to make sure it's configured correctly. Your power supply, the Corsair RM850X, is also more than enough to handle the RTX 4090. I don't think you need to upgrade to the Ryzen 9 7900X unless you're planning on doing some seriously demanding tasks.