PC Clock going WAY too fast?

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
This is very werid. I had a problem with my machine a few months ago with its clock going a few minutes fast per day. I kept Atomic Clock Sync running, and it was fine.

A few weeks ago, I reformatted, and my clock kept perfect time for a few weeks, until yesterday I saw it start to go fast a few minutes. This became faster and faster and more frequent. I checked my BIOS, and my BIOS has kept perfect time the whole time. It started going so fast, you could visably see it going to fast (very surreal, seeing seconds go by a bit too fast). I used Atomic Clock Sync to see that it is gaining about 10 seconds PER MINUTE. It's very weird, especially after the problem went away for a while. By watching the seconds, it actually seems as if 4 seconds go by too fast, then one second goes at normal speed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
The weird thing is my machine started doing this yesterday. It gained about an hour and a half in a day. I wonder if this a virus.

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
I solved it by running Ad-aware. I think one of the spyware programs on my computer was doing it. Run a virus, run an up-to-date ad-aware, and hopefully it'll stop.

osage

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
I am currently having the same problem on one of my comps, it gained 2 hours in the last 9 hours.

I ran Adware, Spybot, complete virus scan with 2 diff and up to date AV packages , all was good .... I'm a bit puzzeled.

anyone have any other ideas..possible prob with the mobo or something ? ? OS related maybe, I have not changed anything for a while other than the last couple of Win XP critical updates.