Question Pc cleaning

Nawabu.u

Feb 17, 2021
1.What is the best way to clean ram,motherboard,psu if compressed air can is not available?

2.Can I clean the upper part of the ram,motherboard with compressed air can?
Why iam asking this question because sometimes when I use air can liquid comes out.
Does it damage electronic components in ram and motherboard?

3.what is the use of 99%ipa other than removing thermal paste from processor?

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Can you answer second and third question.
Also any other cheaper way than electric duster?
Keep in mind I'm not an expert.

2. https://www.techsupportforum.com/th...rays-out-from-a-can-of-compressed-air.918298/

3. I was told to use a piece of coffee filter to gently wipe as much thermal paste away as I could. After doing that lightly dampen another piece of coffee filter with 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the rest of the paste and repeating the procedure until the CPU is clean with a final clean before new paste application. I think 85% ipa was ok to use also but it's been a while.

I personally don't like using anything but air to dust the inside of my PC. I don't like dusting with anything that could cause a static discharge which could kill a component. I have taken a vacuum sweeper hose with a soft brush attachment to gently clean a really dirty CPU heatsink before but it's best to regularly keep everything clean with air so it doesn't get to the point of physically removing dust and dirt.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It depends on what you are dealing with, how bad the buildup and whether only dust or some other grime like tobacco tar, which if bad enough to really need cleaned off, practically needs the parts pulled and washed in ammonia solution if a spray contact cleaner doesn't do enough. Do not expose aluminum (heatsinks, etc) to ammonia. There might be some rear motherboard I/O port housings that are aluminum too. Test with a magnet, if magnetic then it's not aluminum but if not magnetic, probably shouldn't get any strong cleaner like ammonia, bleach, or other strong alkaline cleaners on the area.

Lots of dust, I'll literally take a system outside and use a leaf blower, held far enough away to not be damaging. Once dust is down to a manageable level, I'll use a paint brush to dislodge dust, then I have an air compressor to blow it out but you could use canned air if the convenience exceeds the cost. If the condensation results in a little moisture depositing, let it dry before powering the system on again.

I wouldn't use a vacuum, seems to generate more static electricity and no need to when I can blow dust out in an area where not having contained it is not a problem. Right now with snow and ice outside, I would do that in my garage, then open the door to use a leaf blower to get the dust outside.

There isn't anything that I've found alcohol useful for in PC cleaning, except as a final rinse after an immersion cleaning, in which case it can result in a faster dry time with less chance of water remaining behind in nooks and crannies due to low surface tension, and being less conductive. Back in the old days, when rosin based flux was used, it could be more of an issue as a rinse unless you scrubbed off remaining flux residue but today it is a bit of the opposite, that if you only rinse with straight water, that can leave behind pools of water soluble flux residue. IMO if you're going to get it wet, go the whole 10 yards with a soak and brush and rinse, at least use a drop of detergent to break the water surface tension for final rinse if not using alcohol.

Alcohol to remove thermal paste? I usually just use a paper towel to wipe it off, has always worked fine though if you have the factory thermal pad goo, if alcohol cuts through that then it is a reasonable choice, but if there's a heat spreader on it, I sometimes try a petroleum based polish like brasso, so while removing the TIM I can also lap a smoother surface onto it, though if it is a certain generation of CPU with more, finer pins on the bottom, some care is needed to make sure you don't bend them... depends on the age of the system, environment, and filtration present. We could be talking about something a year old or 15 years old, before there's enough dust to bother with cleaning the whole system out.

I only run systems with filtered intake so if what you're cleaning out doesn't have filtered intake, I'd look into that so the dust cleaning burden is reduced in the future if not eliminated over the useful life of the system, especially in components more of a hassle to clean out like the PSU or video card fan(s). I wouldn't bother to clean dust out of the rest of the system if not doing the PSU too, as it is going to be one of the more problematic components from dust buildup.

Last edited:

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I use acetone nail polish remover to remove thermal paste from CPUs, GPUs, etc. I found it works a lot better that ipa. I use a patch of white cotton t-shirt to wipe with. Can’t remember where I heard it from but it’s been a long time ago.

Whatever you use to blow off the dust be sure to put something like a q-tip in the fan cages to keep fan from free spinning for PSU, CPU fan and other cooling fans. I heard, a long time ago, that it could damage the fan bearings.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Generally I attempt using 99% isopropanol to clean off thermal paste -- before I'd resort to acetone. Acetone evaporates too quickly, and I'd worry about damage it might cause. Nasty stuff!

The compressed air cans you can get at Staples (etc.) -- sometimes in six-packs -- are convenient but pricey. They never seem to last long enough. I still use them. But I also have a Metro Data Vac . The air from the data vac can warm up, but you only need short blasts. It's just a little less convenient for having to manage the power cord.

I also use a soft paint brush for dusting off PCB components, fan blades and fan shrouds. Try to use a ground strap even for cleaning your PC. Definitely a must for handling components. Nitrile surgical gloves, also useful, cheap, not too inconvenient.

You can do a magnificent job of filtering your computer case. Eventually you find that a very, very fine dust still manages to accumulate on everything. At least, you won't find wads of kruft, cat hair and so forth. But always -- very fine dust.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
If you're looking to use common household items, a somewhat soft paintbrush can be used to knock off a lot of the dust. Wet your paintbrush or toothbrush in some isopropyl alcohol to clear off crud caked on.

For GPU and CPU heatsinks, I have been removing and disassembling them down to just the metal heatsink and washing them with soap and water and a soft cloth and toothbrush/paintbrush for years now. After washing, be sure to dry as much water off as you can and hair dry into the small openings. If you live in the tropics or near a source of salt water, I don't recommend doing a wash frequently.

Fans can be cleaned with soap and water and a soft cloth as well. Be sure to wring your cloth nearly dry and get your finger between the blades and slip the cloth between the blades and frame to get rid of the crud in between.

-------------------------------------

If you have a compressor you can delay doing that level of cleaning by just getting it full and blowing most of the dust right out of the PC.