PC Building Simulator

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
http://store.steampowered.com/app/621060/PC_Building_Simulator/

Anyone else playing this? Just got it and built my first (virtual) PC. It's pretty good at simulating all the little steps (unscrewing panels, applying thermal paste, connecting all the cables, etc) as well as part installation itself that you would need to build a PC. It even has a virtual OS so you can launch 3DMark after you've successfully built a PC to benchmark it. :D I made a rookie mistake of forgetting to plug in CPU power and it even spat out a basic "CPU not found" error when booting up (admittedly I've done that once or twice in real life :oops:). There's also a career mode as well as free-build.

It's early-access and there aren't a ton of parts to choose from in each category - they've partnered with real companies like MSI, Silverstone, Raijintek, Gigabyte, etc, though - but hopefully more get added as time goes on. No liquid cooling or elaborate style/bling modifications like RGB strips, either, but it's not bad for a $20 early-access game. It looks to be a good tutorial for first-time builders, too, at least for the basics of assembly.

wuqm4j.jpg

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, at first I was thinking "this could be fun to play just for S&Gs" but then rapidly turned to "wait, it costs money?"

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Saw this last week, or the week before I can't remember. It's a neat idea but unless I can experience the real utter bliss of dropping case screws onto the floor, never to be seen again, then my time and money is wasted on it.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Saw this last week, or the week before I can't remember. It's a neat idea but unless I can experience the real utter bliss of dropping case screws onto the floor, never to be seen again, then my time and money is wasted on it.
Don't forget about bent pins or the balancing act of mounting coolers.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Or how about dropping screws into the case itself... and then they get stuck behind the MB or a tangle of wires/cables. You can hear that little sonuvbitch rattling around but ta hell if it will drop out.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Their choice of a single dot of thermal paste makes me too upset to buy the game.

If I cannot make my own designs on the cpu it's not worth money. :D

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
MNPCTECH is involved with the final version of this game. The Wall posters in the room are my PC builds and my friend EEL Ambiense.

The SIM is based upon real 3D engineered products from manufacturers. Imagine being able to pre-fit and configure your PC before buying everything. This could be an industry game changer. The intent is to inspire and educate inexperienced people about building PCs. It's not aimed at Veteran builders. However, in the future there could be challenges like custom PC build-off competitions. There's a hallway next to the room with a locked door. That door can lead to an new world of possibilities, but only if the game continues to gain momentum!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
MNPCTECH is involved with the final version of this game. The Wall posters in the room are my PC builds and my friend EEL Ambiense.

The SIM is based upon real 3D engineered products from manufacturers. Imagine being able to pre-fit and configure your PC before buying everything. This could be an industry game changer.
How? Last I checked, building a park in Dino Park Tycoon offers no real-world experience of actually building a theme park with dinosaurs so what makes you think that building a virtual PC is going to correlate in any way to building a PC in real life? The entire experience of building your first PC takes hours upon hours and is completely nerve-wracking when you're messing with the finer details (seating CPU, cooler(s), PSU pins, etc.). Not to mention I highly doubt in the game you have to deal with troubleshooting dead RAM sticks or faulty GPUs then waiting two weeks for your RMA process to go through.

The intent is to inspire and educate inexperienced people about building PCs. It's not aimed at Veteran builders. However, in the future there could be challenges like custom PC build-off competitions. There's a hallway next to the room with a locked door. That door can lead to an new world of possibilities, but only if the game continues to gain momentum!
It's a pc building sim. This game isn't going anywhere past a very niche market audience. I hate to rain on your parade, but the only sim that's ever gained any momentum was the actual Sims games simply because they didn't require a high-end PC and they were accessible to the general public - leaning more towards the bored housewife and younger generation who still thinks being an adult is a giant party without restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: clamum