Question PC broken, need some guidence and second opinion

louagn18o3

Nov 30, 2012
Dear all:

My 6 yearish old desktop is broken, I want to fix it, so please give me some ideal or guidence. I buit it myself, have some hands on experience, so I can fix it by replace broken parts.

Here are the specification:
Windows 10 64bit pro originally with windows 7 64bit pro, free upgraded 2015?2016?
CPU: i5-3570k but never overclocked.
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: 16G CORSAIR DDR3 1600MHz 4g x 4
System Harddrive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
GPU: GTX970 MSI
PSU: XFX pro550W

Apart of GPU, SSD, and 2x4g RAM, all other parts are bought about 5,6 years ago.
Symptoms
1. Since few weeks ago, the asus fan expert/monitor start poping out warning messages. Like, +12v over 20v or lower to 0.3v, +5v over 10v, Vcore 2.040v, Motherboard -19c (yes minors 19c with room temerature 18c), CPU temperature dropped to minors sometime too, etc. This happened before, but after I unplugged and replugged everything, it went back to normal. But this time, no, re-plugging would not work, and warnings became more frequent. picture 1 to 6

2. If I cut the power completely, unplugged the power socket, then every time I try to turn on the pc, it would go to error page, like can’t find mouse or keyboard (which I use a Bluetooth keyboard with Bluetooth dangler and a wireless mouse), press F1/delete to enter bios etc. But later on it happens even I have a normal ps2 keyboard plugged in. So I have to going to bios and set the PS2 option into full support from auto, but which reset to auto every time I turn off and on the pc. So, I thought it was the CMOS battery is gone, and replaced a new one, which didn’t help.

3. And yesterday, after I turned on the pc, went into the please enter bios page, instead of press F1, I pressed control alt delete. And the pc just re-powered on and stuck with black screen, and with CPU_LED, and DRAM_led lights flashing. I unplugged the GPU, and used different RAM on different slots, one at a time, but not helping. Picture 7 and 8.

So that is all for my desktop, please give me some advise. First I thought it could be the old PSU causing all the voltage fluctuating, but now I am not sure. All the fans and cpu liquid cooler spins normally.

I have a problem with my working laptop too.

The spec are dell insprion 14-5485 bought on 2015

Windows 10 64bit home, originally came with windows 8, and free upgraded to 10 2015?2016?

CPU: Intel i5-5200u

RAM: 4GX2

GPU: GTX920m

System HD: SSD Samsung 850 evo 250g which I removed the DVD-rom and added it myself 1 year ago.

Symtom:

The fan won’t turn on even the CPU temperature are over 90c, and I think because of the high temperature the laptop would freeze during half a game or video, and have to force shut down. I have to close the lid screen to set the laptop to sleep if I feel the keyboard is burning my palm, and log in again, the fan would start spinning like crazy, though it would not work every time. The fan used to spin when cpu or gpu temperature reach 60, but now even 90 won’t do. I updated the bios few days ago it does not help.

Please, give me some advice, thank you all very much.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.png
    2.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.png
    3.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.png
    4.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.png
    5.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.png
    6.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
It seems likely your power supply has failed. If it has been putting out 20v on the 12v line it may have damaged the other components in your rig. I would replace the power supply but be prepared to replace the whole system.

For your laptop, it sounds like a fan has failed. Don't turn it on until you have replaced the fan.

louagn18o3

Nov 30, 2012
It seems likely your power supply has failed. If it has been putting out 20v on the 12v line it may have damaged the other components in your rig. I would replace the power supply but be prepared to replace the whole system.

For your laptop, it sounds like a fan has failed. Don't turn it on until you have replaced the fan.

Thanks, that is what I thought, just want to hear a second opinion. Thank you very much. I will see i can get some old model parts or not, probably have to get second hand ones.

louagn18o3

Nov 30, 2012
Was there ever a resolution to this issue?
Thank you, I meant to have an update on this thread few days ago anyway.
The answer is NO. Since the motherboard is fried (I spend about 15 dollar asked someone come to door use his mobile power supply to tested it, and he asked for 150 dollar to find a less function LGA1155 second hand motherboard for me), so I bought a second hand mother board same model (70dollar) to replace the old one. But the warning messages still keeps popping up, so I replaced a new PSU too. The new system works for now, but the messages pop up like crazy at first week. So eventually I decided to ignore it, if it fried again, I would build a new one. But strangely, everything works fine now (except the 5.1 sound system on this motherboard is broken, and keep saying audio jack is plugged in sometime), no more -19c warning messages since 2 days ago, or much less frequent (once or twice a day, compare to once every 5 minutes).
So I still don’t know what happened, but it works fine for now, so I will still use it until it won’t work anymore. I don’t want to spend too much on it, so probably will build a new one if I can’t fix it without buying anymore replacement parts.
Thank you very much.

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
So you bought a replacement motherboard because your faulty PSU fried the original one and you plugged it into the same PSU?

louagn18o3

Nov 30, 2012
So you bought a replacement motherboard because your faulty PSU fried the original one and you plugged it into the same PSU?

I am not even sure the old PSU is faulty or not, but the old motherboard is fried, and I replaced both with a second hand motherboard and a brand new PSU, but I still sometime have/had those popping up warning messages saying -19c motherboard, 20v +12v, 0v of +5v etc.