Question PC boot loops after moving to new case

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Hi AT, been a while. Anyway, I have a 2.5 years old PC that was running naked (without a case) for a while and finally got a new case. 8600K, Gigabyte 1070, Gigabyte Aorus 7 mobo, 2x 8GB Corsair RAM, 750W PSU, Corsair H60 AIO for CPU cooling.

After moving all the parts into the case and routing the cables, I plug it in and the system runs for maybe 20 seconds before starting over again. Diagnostic LEDs end with the VGA one on and LED code of 0A.

I've taken everything back out, reseated every component, reseated all PSU (modular) cables, even moved to new PSU outputs if possible. Tried going down to one stick of RAM and moved it to all 4 slots. Pulled an old 460 GPU and tried using that, same cycle.

Pretty pissed off and frustrated since it was working just fine sitting there on an antistatic bag but now that I finally move it back into a proper case it gets borked.

Anyone experienced this before or have any suggestions on what's causing the boot loop?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
since it was working just fine sitting there on an antistatic bag
Just a note for anyone reading this - anti-static bags, by the way that they work, are CONDUCTIVE. You were "shorting out" your rig the whole time. Granted, they generally have an extremely high resistance, so the actual current flow was little, but ... not the greatest idea.

They say to "breadboard" systems on cardboard boxes, not the actual anti-static bags.

I'm not going to say that's what borked your rig, but... maybe it could have contributed?

I think, get a fresh night's sleep, wake up, have some coffee and breakfast, and take another look at it.

Pay special attention to the PCI-E x16 slot on the video card, the RAM slots, and the ATX12V plug and PCI-E power plugs on the video card. I would re-seat all of those, and maybe even, if you have some, use some Contact Cleaner (or Carb cleaner, or WD-40, maybe? Not 100% sure.) on the PCI-E x16 slot, and the RAM slots. (Those slots/contacts may have built up a dirt/dust film, being exposed to the elements without a case.)

Btw, do you smoke or vape?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Does it still work if you set it back up on a piece of cardboard? If so, there may be a grounding issue between the case and the motherboard somewhere (i.e. improperly placed standoff, etc).

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Regarding the anti-static bag, good to know! It ran a long time like that so I don't know. I have some Deoxit for my audio gear that I can use on the PCI-E contacts.

The whole system is out of the case again with nothing plugged in except for one stick of memory...nothing I change seems to affect the cycling.

I'm trying to clear my head of this frustration so I haven't touched it since this afternoon. I'm aware that it sounds like a shorting issue so I'll check that again later. Otherwise I'll see which of my friends (if any) has a similar mobo that would be willing to test my components to eliminate causes.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
AMI code 0A "Initializes the 8042 compatible Key Board Controller" It is bad juju when a board hangs that early. Obviously exhaust all troubleshooting steps you can. I would add to the list, if not already efforted, different PSU and no vid card, but instead, using the iGPU.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
You say you checked everything, but did you check the motherboard mounts to the base plate? Are you sure all the standoffs were screwed down flush and that the MB is not being tweaked at all? Also that the standoffs were all aligned with the holes in the board and the board isn't sitting on one by accident?