PC black screen, is my cpu or mobo dead? help

PEPE_

Dec 22, 2015
So my computer has been doing some odd things, Since this morning, the pc would not boot into windows anymore, its just a black screen and hangs with these bcodes. with either bcode 79 or it jumps in steps from 04>55>60 and hangs with the black screen.. with one stick it would boot sometimes, its very slowly passing the bios loading screen, after its loaded, it shows no signal.. If it hangs on 79 bcode, black screen remains.. i've also had 68 as bcode before.. i tested each ramstick in module 1 and it kept booting with 79 now.. i tried BIOS B aswell with no avail.. both were flashed to the latest versions, PC would work before, with these codes... but then this morning it didnt boot into windows anymore.. The motherboard i have was refurbised bought on ebay.. Ive posted several threads with no avail.. even on the msi forum..

So here are the lists of bcode's i have been having..

79 - CSM initialization : Black screen.
68 - PCI host bridge initialization : Black Screen

04 - PCH initialization before microcode loading
55 - Memory not installed
60 - DXE Core is started

Would boot passed the bios very slowly.. but then after its loaded it goes into black screen and shows "No Signal".. List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

3 Videos of the issue below.
https://vid.me/qrlm
https://vid.me/WHYV
https://vid.me/iR8h

Nothing seems bent or damaged.http://imgur.com/a/T8Gty
9FloGLv

IOlkoyj

Motherboard is shipped tomorrow(RMA).
Should i RMA the cpu / ram aswell?

Thanks.

Info :

i7-5820K
Fury x Sapphire
MSi Gaming 7 x99
GeiL Potenza 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
M12 SeaSonic EVO 850w bronze.
H110i GTX

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
CPUs rarely die unless they are heavily overclocked, get too hot from a fan dying or improper cooling, or get physically damaged. It happens, but it is pretty rare.

You didn't say how long you have used the motherboard for. Has it always worked?

My first two guesses to what would be the problem would be:

1. Motherboard
2. Power supply

You can buy another power supply or maybe borrow someone's that you know works. If it still doesn't boot, it is most likely the motherboard. There are posts all over about problems with x99 motherboards, so in the end, that will be your likely problem.

I personally would never buy a refurbished motherboard. The potential problems are too risky. Plus, since you bought it on Ebay, who refurbished it and what is the warranty on it? Was it a private seller or a company?

PEPE_

Dec 22, 2015
CPUs rarely die unless they are heavily overclocked, get too hot from a fan dying or improper cooling, or get physically damaged. It happens, but it is pretty rare.

You didn't say how long you have used the motherboard for. Has it always worked?

My first two guesses to what would be the problem would be:

1. Motherboard
2. Power supply

You can buy another power supply or maybe borrow someone's that you know works. If it still doesn't boot, it is most likely the motherboard. There are posts all over about problems with x99 motherboards, so in the end, that will be your likely problem.

I personally would never buy a refurbished motherboard. The potential problems are too risky. Plus, since you bought it on Ebay, who refurbished it and what is the warranty on it? Was it a private seller or a company?

Ive had it for several months, 5 months now, and i had the issue's before aswell, with also a refurbished asus rampage v extreme i sold duo the problems it had.

But i always had problems, and had these Q codes, but i could boot passed it, the last time my pc worked good was previous week. it worked without Q codes. until 1 week passed.. black screen, and would not boot into windows anymore.

But its odd i also had problems and Q codes on the asus rampage v extreme.
The board was also refurbished, this got me wondering if one my ram sticks isn't faulty aswell..
Or its just me being unlucky with refurbished motherboards.. since the seller of the asus rampage v extreme didnt inlcude the receipt of the Asus mobo. so i had no warrenty on it. it also included the geil ram sticks with the asus rampage i bought. so it could be the ram aswell.

So im not sure if it is the mobo or one of the ram sticks.
GeiL should have lifetime warrenty on theyre ram, but i dont have the receipt anymore, so im also still waiting on a reply.

Motherboard is being send in today for shipment.

The seller had a store and had great rep + Board had 2 year of warrenty left.

People suggested to ditch the msi gaming 7 motherboard duo the memory problems it had, bu i doubt he wil accept a refund, since ive had it for 4-5months..

Clearing CMOS would work as a work-a-around, but now it doesnt do anything.

Also what does msi do to a refurbished motherboard that is broken? fix it or replace it most of the time?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
With the computer off(flip switch on back of power supply so its off) hold the power on button on the case to drain the residual power left(10 seconds)then flip the switch on the back of the PSU ON, try again. It's running through the code's which is good, not sure what the boot codes for a X99 are on a MSI. Usually AO on the boards I use is a good boot code. You can enter the bios, I would go in set the memory voltage manually(what the memory asks for default voltage) also set the speed as low as possible to try n get a boot.

PEPE_

Dec 22, 2015
With the computer off(flip switch on back of power supply so its off) hold the power on button on the case to drain the residual power left(10 seconds)then flip the switch on the back of the PSU ON, try again. It's running through the code's which is good, not sure what the boot codes for a X99 are on a MSI. Usually AO on the boards I use is a good boot code. You can enter the bios, I would go in set the memory voltage manually(what the memory asks for default voltage) also set the speed as low as possible to try n get a boot.

I did this kinda trick which was provided from the MSI forum.

Which was the same thing as yours, but instead of holding it, you press it a few times and turn it back on, which resulted the same.

I could get into the bios screen, but it went very slowly.
Think the pc would only boot with one stick, but after retrying again and again, it would not work anymore. leaving me with 79 mostly. somtimes 68.

And with 1 or 2 sticks, 04>55>60

Motherboard is shipped.

Ill let you guys know if it will be fixed if it returns, hopefully.:thumbsup:

"this is from an msi admin on the forums, refering to 04>55>60 bcode.

"ok so it may be the CPU socket pins are bent more then likely as the first is the southbridge starting before your CPU could be recognized - second is the board drivers loading (trying to load) and 55 its not seeing your Memory as even being there so its either the CPU is miss seated, the pins in the socket are not making contact or your board is faulty!""

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
I would go in set the memory voltage manually as PhIlLy ChEeSe stated.
Since GeIL had a bad reputation in the early days I always avoided using it.

PEPE_

Dec 22, 2015
I would go in set the memory voltage manually as PhIlLy ChEeSe stated.
Since GeIL had a bad reputation in the early days I always avoided using it.

Yeah,Will let you guys know when it is back, and see if it is fixed or not. bought the quad channel all together with the rampage v extreme which i sold for a dim..

Now i got the MSI gaming 7 motherboard and the same issue happens after a few months.

Ofcourse, not as bad as the MSI gaming 7, but i could atleast boot into windows with my rampage v extreme.

I tested ram with memtest for few hours and found no errors aswell, back when the pc did work.

And i will try the method above when it comes back in.

Last edited: