PC Apple Keyboard Troubles

The Godfather

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2005
I bought an Apple Ultrathin USB keyboard to hook up to my Windows 7 Ultimate machine. It hooks up through a USB Pass-Through connection on my monitor (monitor has a USB port, and a cable that passes through the monitor and into the desktop usb, because the keyboard is too short I use the monitor usb) I also have an external Western Digital Elements HD. When I first hooked everything together it was working fine for a few days. Then something happened. Everytime a flash drive or the external are connected on the desktop USB port, they show up on the PC but freeze/don't work. Keyboard works fine. However when I plug in the External to the keyboard's side-USB hub it works perfectly. The USB mouse to the desktop works fine though. It's only the external and flash drives. When I disconnect the keyboard from the monitor USB, the hard drive starts working fine through the desktop and same with the flash thumb drives.

Any ideas? Which is canceling which out? Monitor pass-through/Keyboard connection?

The Godfather

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2005
I think bootcamp is what messed it up. It started having problems after I tried installing them. I am exceeding it? It won't work even after I plug out the mouse etc. As long as the keyboard is plugged into the monitor the thumbdrives/external won't work using the USB on the case itself. They work fine when plugged into the keyboard's usb.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I read on the Toms hardware forum sometime motherboards use a separate USB controller for each 'tower' of USB ports on the back. Try splitting up what connects to which tower. Now do take that all with a grain of salt.