PC 2100 Memory

Splork

Oct 9, 1999
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I'm going to post it anyways. Do you know if you can simultaneously use Registered PC 2100 ECC DDR Ram, with Non-Registered PC 2100 ECC DDR Ram.

-sp

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
When you say Registered, are you refering to ECC memory? If that's the case, for certain it will not work.

IsOs

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I made a mistake of mixing both registered & non-registered ECC DDR in my Tiger MP. It didn't boot. I had to remove one. It boots on either one.

jjyiz28

Platinum Member
Jan 11, 2003
registered has nothing to do with ECC support.

most mobo's i believe support one only type, most being non registered variety. so no mix and match
mobos that support ecc, can use non ecc memory, and you could even mix and match ecc and non ecc, but your computer will run your ram as non ecc.
mobos that don't support ecc, can use non ecc, ecc, but it won't run as ecc.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I beg to differ, many motherboards will not work with ECC and non-ECC memory installed, it's an either/or situation.

jjyiz28

Platinum Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: pspada
I beg to differ, many motherboards will not work with ECC and non-ECC memory installed, it's an either/or situation.

it'll work just fine, just won't run in ecc mode.

Splork

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the replies... It seems that when I have both sticks in the box it will only recognize the non-registered Dimm. Oh well, better luck next time.

-sp