PBS question to Trump and his response

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Not a "false" equivalency. Obama wouldn’t feed into it by saying radical Muslim terrorist just like trump isn’t feeding it by using this "opportunity" to call out white nationalists. Obama didn’t have anything to do with the interaction between the reporter and Trump like I said, but the equivalency between the two isn’t false. There are radical Islamic terrorists just as there are white nationalists, but why should either take the bait to fuel racial fire even if it would be a "nice opportunity to denounce it".

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not a "false" equivalency. Obama wouldn’t feed into it by saying radical Muslim terrorist just like trump isn’t feeding it by using this "opportunity" to call out white nationalists. Obama didn’t have anything to do with the interaction between the reporter and Trump like I said, but the equivalency between the two isn’t false. There are radical Islamic terrorists just as there are white nationalists, but why should either take the bait to fuel racial fire even if it would be a "nice opportunity to denounce it".

That's so dishonest. Obama explained himself, something Trump refused to do in claiming the question was racist, which it wasn't.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/politics/obama-radical-islamic-terrorism-cnn-town-hall/index.html

When did it become acceptable for our President to refuse to denounce White Nationalists, anyway? Or claim that an invitation from a black reporter to do so was a racist question?

Your position is absurd.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Concern Racist is very concerned that people call him racist because of all of his obvious racism.

Such concern.

Reactions: Meghan54

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I for one am shocked, shocked I tell you that UC is still running away from answering questions regarding the topic.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Trump may call them the enemy of the people but they are one of the people's best defenses against him. He's prone to ignorance and delusion and people in his face (who aren't his employees) help to keep him from unhinged behaviors.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
See here’s the thing, she was simply asking a question. A question A LOT of people would like an answer to. He had the chance to give an answer to the people. Instead he went with the “I’m not a racist! You’re the racist!” Schlick so many conservatives break out now a days.

He could have clarified. He could have condemned white nationalists. But he’s Trump so... nope.
Trump enables mutual antagonism, it's his m.o. He doesn't want clarification. He abhores it. A meeting of minds is not his goal. He wants wins... for himself. He's been like that his whole life and he isn't going to change. His base doesn't mind that. They put up with it or actually like it.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
And two years later, it resumes...

If someone is going to use the word "nationalist" to descibe themselves, the way I would interpret it is in the context of the country they live in. Here in the good ol' U.S. of A., a person who identifies and declares themselves a nationalist generally is either black or white and thus identified as such. There has never been a stand-alone "nationalist" category except among those who practice nationalism. Although Hair Furor is an artificial orange-tinted color, he identifies as white, thus he is a white nationalist. Which explains the OP being confused as to why people don't understand his view that being white and a nationalist is not being white nationalist; he too is a white nationalist.

I've been out of posting here for a couple of years but I have been reading, which gives a person some advantages when not engaging. One thing I noticed about the OP is that while he is primarily fixated on race issues here in P&N, he really likes to shovel his political bs while trying to come across as a reasonable, neutral person. Of course, failing miserably but he already knows that and doesn't care.

Engaging this waste of a being is a waste of your valuable time and effort. Why? You're basically wrestling a pig.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Welcome back to the forums (or posting anyways). I disagree with your assessment of me but cheers to a well thought reply. :beermug:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No I didn’t? I started this thread saying what she said was racist which it was and Trump called her out which he did. She tried to take something unrelated and inject something accusatory and racially charged to what could only be seen as inciting racial fear. It was uncalled for, unprofessional, untruthful, and she was called out for doing so. Most on here loathe to admit it but not everything in he world revolves around one skin color.
I've not read the whole thread (as I kinda know how it's going to go)so forgive me if my points have been addressed.

Why is what she said injecting racism into it? Trump said he's a nationalist and a lot of white nationalists and Nazis do support trump. At the moment there is certainly a problem with the far right making inroads into mainstream politics. It seems a totally reasonable point to bring up. It gives Trump the opportunity to define his brand of nationalism as being inclusive and to cut out the far right, plus does what reporters are supposed to do and holds a politicians words to scrutiny. Too often Trump uses weasel words and terrible grammar to just hint at things. Reporters should get him to state clearly and definitely what he means and if doesn't do that you can't blame them for interpretation.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I've not read the whole thread (as I kinda know how it's going to go)so forgive me if my points have been addressed.

Why is what she said injecting racism into it? Trump said he's a nationalist and a lot of white nationalists and Nazis do support trump. At the moment there is certainly a problem with the far right making inroads into mainstream politics. It seems a totally reasonable point to bring up. It gives Trump the opportunity to define his brand of nationalism as being inclusive and to cut out the far right, plus does what reporters are supposed to do and holds a politicians words to scrutiny. Too often Trump uses weasel words and terrible grammar to just hint at things. Reporters should get him to state clearly and definitely what he means and if doesn't do that you can't blame them for interpretation.

Don't forget your secret decoder ring so you know when to take his word salad literally, figuratively, or just senile ramblings.

We had a concise speaker for far too long, thanks Obama.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Don't forget your secret decoder ring so you know when to take his word salad literally, figuratively, or just senile ramblings.

This is the thing. I'd have a modicum of sympathy for the guy about being reported out of context if he actually clearly stated what his positions were, didn't take a different position on the same subject depending on the time of day and didn't pull every "fact" that he uses out of his fat arse. Also the fact that he has the most unpleasant public personality of any living politician I can think of.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This is the thing. I'd have a modicum of sympathy for the guy about being reported out of context if he actually clearly stated what his positions were, didn't take a different position on the same subject depending on the time of day and didn't pull every "fact" that he uses out of his fat arse. Also the fact that he has the most unpleasant public personality of any living politician I can think of.

Americans love his abrasive "tell it like it is, even if it's outright lies" persona. Not a majority of them, but millions.

Trump has been in the spotlight for decades. He's always been a complete asshole, devoid of any moral trait I was raised with (by steadfast christian conservatives), or any moral trait I present to my own children.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Americans love his abrasive "tell it like it is, even if it's outright lies" persona.

He doesn't tell it like it is though! He doesn't even tell it at all most of the time. Most of the time he just makes an unintelligible word salad of half finished sentences and ill thought out, unfinished propositions.

Any Trump supporter should be sat down with a bunch of transcripts of his words and made to transcribe them into English. Then compare them to the results of other trump supporters doing the same thing on the same transcripts. Then they'll see what the problem is.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He doesn't tell it like it is though! He doesn't even tell it at all most of the time. Most of the time he just makes an unintelligible word salad of half finished sentences and ill thought out, unfinished propositions.

Any Trump supporter should be sat down with a bunch of transcripts of his words and made to transcribe them into English. Then compare them to the results of other trump supporters doing the same thing on the same transcripts. Then they'll see what the problem is.

Lol, you appear to hold Trump supporters in higher educational regard than I do.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Welcome back to the forums (or posting anyways). I disagree with your assessment of me but cheers to a well thought reply. :beermug:

I would expect you to disagree, to do otherwise would undermine your premise. Now about that premise:

The problem with that premise is that you are refusing to read her words and understand her question, instead choosing to swallow and spout the Malignant Mango's crap. I grew up and spent the first half of my life in eastern Washington and the Idaho panhandle and I know what a nationalist is, the area is teeming with them. It's one of the reasons I moved away from the place, it's a beautiful area with too many hateful, bitter people. Before Tangerine Torquemada proudly proclaimed himself a nationalist, he said "And I say 'really, we're not supposed to use that word?'", making it more than clear he fully knew the history behind that word. Once he made that crystal clear to everyone, he said "Do you know what I am? I'm a nationalist.". making it abundantly clear to those who speak the language that he's one of them. As do you with your words, whether or not you mean it, you are one of them too. To frost the turd that Trump had just laid in announcing he is a nationalist, he quickly followed it up with the word "globalist", which is a three alarm siren for "wealthy, powerful Jews".

Good luck white knighting for the white knights. No, not really.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Why would supporters make you question intent? If you are a Trump supporter, you likely dismiss the quote for the aforementioned. If you are not a Trump supporter you likely accept the quote.

So why would you question the intent?
To clarify what I meant, you sort of weakened your allegation that this quote was not true because trump supporters said it wasnt. Of course his supporters would say this us debunked. It turns out that pretty much everyone said it was not factual. It was a quote from a book. At best, we can speculate that Trump said it. Just supporting that there is no hard evidence that Trump directly said that.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
No I didn’t? I started this thread saying what she said was racist which it was and Trump called her out which he did. She tried to take something unrelated and inject something accusatory and racially charged to what could only be seen as inciting racial fear. It was uncalled for, unprofessional, untruthful, and she was called out for doing so. Most on here loathe to admit it but not everything in he world revolves around one skin color.

NO!!!! See post 88. What she said was not racist. Stop trying to redefine words to fit your agenda. She may or may not have been trying to set him up for a follow up question to make him look stupid, but it was not racist. Be done with cli.ing she was a racist. Break out a dictionary. Just because the Republicans are trying to redefine the word does not make it so. Quit being so gulible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
To clarify what I meant, you sort of weakened your allegation that this quote was not true because trump supporters said it wasnt. Of course his supporters would say this us debunked. It turns out that pretty much everyone said it was not factual. It was a quote from a book. At best, we can speculate that Trump said it. Just supporting that there is no hard evidence that Trump directly said that.

Trump himself said it was probably true!!!

That sure sounds like hard evidence to me.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

I never said it was not true. What I said was that supporters dismiss it. I would bet that you thought I was dismissing or diminishing its credibility because I did not say my opinion. You then thought because of that, I must agree with them. That was incorrect if that is what you did. I was making no allegation beyond what a Trump supporter would likely do.

The reason I did that was to give insight how a Trump supporter could claim Trump was not racist given what Spy said Trump had done. That is how they accomplish it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Trump is a piece of shit. The people who voted for trump are all upstanding moral people in their own eyes. If you vote for a piece of shit or support a piece of shit you are a piece of shit. Thus we have the problem of we are upstanding moral people and voted for or support Trump that our actions are shit and conflict with our self imagined moral character. Who is going to willingly admit this. People who have been bludgeoned by fear to conform to some form of morality that is actually evil are put in a mental prison. They can't ever look at themselves introspectively without the fearful realization that what they were made to believe and what they pride themselves on believing is good, actually means they are shit. They need to realize they are only shit because they can't look at themselves and see it. If they could they would abandon the shit they believe. Then they would see Emperor Trump for the shit he really is.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Well it would put an end to the "Well he's just telling it like it is" if they all can't agree on what he's telling them! :D
But that's the genius of his con, that what he says is so open to personal interpretation.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The question was obviously made to provide Trump an opportunity to separate his nationalism from white nationalism. And he refused to do so.

This in spades... should have been the end of the thread right here...When Trump refuses to separate himself from these hate groups by "explaining" his so called "nationalism", he will continue to get questions asking him to explain himself and distance himself from these nationalist haters.

Also...he will never give in to the media's hardball questions...It's a sign of weakness to him and his loyal followers..There is no nuance to how he deals with the media and the narrative he wants his followers to see. Answering this type of question would be "losing" to the media in his zero sum existence.