PBS question to Trump and his response

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Because the legions of openly racist white supremacists on social media who all worship Trump as their god emperor don't do anything to stoke fear and racial tension, right?

They wouldn't be doing that if the other races just stayed in their places. Brown people need to stop being so uppity. It's their fault the white nationalists exist.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...s-racist-question-april-ryan-newsroom-vpx.cnn

She said

“On the campaign trail, you called yourself a nationalist,” she began. “Some people saw that as emboldingly white nationalist. Now people are also saying…”

Trump responded

“I don’t know why you’d say that — such a racist question.”

Thank you. Godzilla, he called it out. She was probably taken aback but so be it, it was a racist question and her taking the term nationalist and turn it to a race thing is....racist. I love PBS and even like that particular reporter but yes that question and that underlying thought process is quite simply racist. Why is a nationalist - someone who is advocating for America First - have to be white and have to be racist?

Edit: in before concern, dog whistle, etc

This would be a relevant counterpoint to make if she did in fact say that. She didn't. I'm pretty sure you knew that though.

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Or he won’t entertain outright racist games from the press. I don’t blame him. She interjected a racist element to something where there was none, her question therefore was racist. He was right to call her out on it.
Yes, you monumentally dumb fuck, there's no history of nationalism being based around racist white nationalism, because, uh, you're a fucking Trump collaborator.

Keep on keepin' on, monumental dumb fuck!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's racist to ask a question?

It’s amazing to me that conservatives claim Trump isn’t a racist despite him saying things like ‘black people are inherently lazy’ but then think PBS reporters are racists for asking perfectly reasonable questions like this.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Every single reporter for every single presser from now until Hell is no longer frozen over (it froze over when Trump became president) should ask the exact same questions until either (a) they all get barred or (b) they get an actual answer from the "The Nationalist"

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It’s amazing to me that conservatives claim Trump isn’t a racist despite him saying things like ‘black people are inherently lazy’ but then think PBS reporters are racists for asking perfectly reasonable questions like this.

You're the racist for pointing out his racist verbage.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
These reporters need to learn to be more direct. She was trying to get him to denounce white nationalists but he knows he can't do he shut her down. Next time just ask the damn question. Do you reject white nationalism? Make him say it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They wouldn't be doing that if the other races just stayed in their places. Brown people need to stop being so uppity. It's their fault the white nationalists exist.
Sorry Massa, I'll just shut up and get that cotton picked /s

BTW - If you want to use a dog whistle with that order is it, "get that cotton picken' cotton picked"??

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

That is widely dismissed by supporters as it was a 2nd hand account from a conversation that had happened years before. Its not something that was recorded or witnessed by multiple people.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
It's racist to ask a question?
Excellent question. Let's ask the interwebs to help us learn.

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
  1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Nope. Someone asking about or calling a racist out is in fact, NOT FUCKING racist you mother fucking imbeciles. Stop trying to create new definitions of words to fit your lame ass ideas. I know it is one of the go-to movies for your thick headed trump supporters and Republican dumb fucks but stop it.

You can say that someone calling out racism is being mean, angry, an asshole, etc. But it IS NOT racsim. You want polite discourse, then how about not being a god-damn idiot?!?

Reactions: Perknose

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
These reporters need to learn to be more direct. She was trying to get him to denounce white nationalists but he knows he can't do he shut her down. Next time just ask the damn question. Do you reject white nationalism? Make him say it.

Just like they tried to get Barry to say radical Islamic terrorism and he wouldn’t.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
That is widely dismissed by supporters as it was a 2nd hand account from a conversation that had happened years before. Its not something that was recorded or witnessed by multiple people.

Your use of the word "supporters" make me question intent. However, a little googling tells me the quote is derived from something attributed to Trump in a 1991 book. So it sounds like it is not a direct quote but something someone claims he had said. In defense of thinking Trump is a POS, he later said everything in the book is probably true.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just like they tried to get Barry to say radical Islamic terrorism and he wouldn’t.

Obama nonetheless denounced them as terrorists. He didn't say "You're the real terrorist" to the enquirer.

"There is no doubt, and I've said repeatedly, where we see terrorist organizations like al Qaeda or ISIL -- They have perverted and distorted and tried to claim the mantle of Islam for an excuse for basically barbarism and death," he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/politics/obama-radical-islamic-terrorism-cnn-town-hall/index.html

Feb 4, 2009

Trump just doesn’t like poor people, Black People trail white people on earnings & assists, let’s discuss why in another thread.
The question is has Trump started to think all black people are poor?
Look at the Central Park guys. Their names were cleared and Trump denied it was possible. I think he even bought an ad in a news paper saying they were guilty.
Really odd behavior for someone who doesn’t look a races.

Feb 4, 2009

I didn’t get that about Obama either. I suspect it’s a little bit like Trump refusing the ever say he was wrong. It’s an ego thing and that incident regarding Obama was probably influenced by the Birthers. I know I would start to think I’m done dancing for you mother fuckers.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Your use of the word "supporters" make me question intent. However, a little googling tells me the quote is derived from something attributed to Trump in a 1991 book. So it sounds like it is not a direct quote but something someone claims he had said. In defense of thinking Trump is a POS, he later said everything in the book is probably true.

Why would supporters make you question intent? If you are a Trump supporter, you likely dismiss the quote for the aforementioned. If you are not a Trump supporter you likely accept the quote.

So why would you question the intent?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Trump just doesn’t like poor people, Black People trail white people on earnings & assists, let’s discuss why in another thread.
The question is has Trump started to think all black people are poor?
Look at the Central Park guys. Their names were cleared and Trump denied it was possible. I think he even bought an ad in a news paper saying they were guilty.
Really odd behavior for someone who doesn’t look a races.

My post was not to defend or support any claim. I just wanted to point out that supporters dismiss the claim because its a 2nd hand account. I know its been dismissed from the Trump supporters I talk to.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I didn’t get that about Obama either. I suspect it’s a little bit like Trump refusing the ever say he was wrong. It’s an ego thing and that incident regarding Obama was probably influenced by the Birthers. I know I would start to think I’m done dancing for you mother fuckers.

I would bet that it was less about being wrong, and more about not wanting to give ammo to people that feel like Islam has a problem with terrorism.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It is something Trump personally acknowledged was probably true, on the record.

It is also entirely in accordance with large numbers of people from all points of his life saying he routinely says racist things.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

He would very likely tell you that he's the least racist person you'll ever meet.

IMO it was important to ask the question in the way she asked it. The problem with people like Trump is that they are perfectly happy to use dog-whistle language to engage with such people as directly as possible without declaring themselves explicitly to be one of them (or saying something that's tantamount to the same thing like stating that all N-words must hang).

It's like that Republican candidate from Illinois who when asked if they were a Nazi, they responded by saying that they don't currently pay any subscriptions to any Nazi party, despite all the other Nazi shit they'd already spouted. It's an utterly disingenuous response, but it says exactly what the intended recipients of the dog whistle want to hear (ie. they have someone with their interests to heart in or running for public office), and it says exactly what Republican "moderates" want to hear, which is "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" (ie. as long as they don't have to pretend an explicit racist statement was made by one of their guys, it's all good).

Last edited: