PBS question to Trump and his response

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Is that necessary. Engage in conversation with me and I’ll engage back. Name calling just tarnishes the forum and undermines your opinions.

Then stop being such a fucking idiot. Seriously, stop it.

You quoted her for christ's sake and no where in the quote did she claim he was a white nationalist.

You want better discourse, then up your fucking game!

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...s-racist-question-april-ryan-newsroom-vpx.cnn
She said
“On the campaign trail, you called yourself a nationalist,” she began. “Some people saw that as emboldingly white nationalist. Now people are also saying…”
Trump responded

“I don’t know why you’d say that — such a racist question.”

Thank you. Godzilla, he called it out. She was probably taken aback but so be it, it was a racist question and her taking the term nationalist and turn it to a race thing is....racist. I love PBS and even like that particular reporter but yes that question and that underlying thought process is quite simply racist. Why is a nationalist - someone who is advocating for America First - have to be white and have to be racist?

Edit: in before concern, dog whistle, etc

If you ask the guy who shot up the jewish synagogue last week "Some people saw that as emboldingly white nationalist", do you think it would be reasonable for him to respond "I don’t know why you’d say that — such a racist question"?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Nope, not even close.

It's ok, you can admit it. This is a safe place and nobody (least of all me) is saying you're racist. Are Zionists racist for wanting a Jewish ethnostate? Of course not.

So you love America and are a nationalist who wants a homeland for white people.... what's wrong with that? What's wrong with admitting it?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...s-racist-question-april-ryan-newsroom-vpx.cnn

She said

“On the campaign trail, you called yourself a nationalist,” she began. “Some people saw that as emboldingly white nationalist. Now people are also saying…”

Trump responded

Thank you. Godzilla, he called it out. She was probably taken aback but so be it, it was a racist question and her taking the term nationalist and turn it to a race thing is....racist. I love PBS and even like that particular reporter but yes that question and that underlying thought process is quite simply racist. Why is a nationalist - someone who is advocating for America First - have to be white and have to be racist?

You see UG I get that he isn’t a white nationalist. But what’s concerning is he keeps making these gaffs in his speech.

Conservatism is all about patriotism and pride in our country. Enshrined by small government which leads to freedom which stems from our American ideal of individualism.

Which is obviously what he’s talking about when he used the term Nationalist.

But you see the thing is there are white nationalists out there and they use words very similar to what Trump says.

They might say all Mexicans are dug dealers and racists but they would never say, “and some are good people”. The problems is those on the liberal side only hear the first part that similar between what white nationalists say and what our president who’s a nationalist says, completely missing the difference.

It keeps happening too. They say globalist to mean Jews who are rich and supposedly want to control international events star expense of white people. Where as when trump says it he just means those who want to try and control international events at the expense of the US. Totally different but it’s easy to see how it’s confusing to others who don’t see as clearly as you.

The same thing happens when he talks about blacks, and Muslims, and women. You know what he means it just sounds almost the same.

It concerns me that the man who represents the living breathing ideal of what conservatism has become in 2018 doesn’t articulate it as well and might be driving others away.

Shouldn’t we expect more?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So if you know what he means why try to take the racist approach? That seems to be trying to look for something that isn’t there and tie everything g to race, which quite frankly is racist.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You see UG I get that he isn’t a white nationalist. But what’s concerning is he keeps making these gaffs in his speech.

Conservatism is all about patriotism and pride in our country. Enshrined by small government which leads to freedom which stems from our American ideal of individualism.

Which is obviously what he’s talking about when he used the term Nationalist.

But you see the thing is there are white nationalists out there and they use words very similar to what Trump says.

They might say all Mexicans are dug dealers and racists but they would never say, “and some are good people”. The problems is those on the liberal side only hear the first part that similar between what white nationalists say and what our president who’s a nationalist says, completely missing the difference.

It keeps happening too. They say globalist to mean Jews who are rich and supposedly want to control international events star expense of white people. Where as when trump says it he just means those who want to try and control international events at the expense of the US. Totally different but it’s easy to see how it’s confusing to others who don’t see as clearly as you.

The same thing happens when he talks about blacks, and Muslims, and women. You know what he means it just sounds almost the same.

It concerns me that the man who represents the living breathing ideal of what conservatism has become in 2018 doesn’t articulate it as well and might be driving others away.

Shouldn’t we expect more?

It's not a gaffe. Trump outright refuses to condemn white nationalists. Earlier, I even pointed out how easily he could have done so in response to the question asked.

I'm surprised you're making excuses for him.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Given the context of the rest of the press conference and his repeated hostility to non-Fox reporters is plainly obvious that the unindicted co-conspirator refuses to answer any legitimate questions about his debacle of an administration. Anyone that refuses to acknowledge this is wilfully ignorant.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The question was obviously made to provide Trump an opportunity to separate his nationalism from white nationalism. And he refused to do so.

Precisely. No amount of obfuscation will change that.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
The question was obviously made to provide Trump an opportunity to separate his nationalism from white nationalism. And he refused to do so.

Or he won’t entertain outright racist games from the press. I don’t blame him. She interjected a racist element to something where there was none, her question therefore was racist. He was right to call her out on it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
It's not a gaffe. Trump outright refuses to condemn white nationalists. Earlier, I even pointed out how easily he could have done so in response to the question asked.

I'm surprised you're making excuses for him.

Well nothing else gets the hell through to UC. I thought by buttering him up by sounding like a Trump sycophant I could plant some seeds of doubt.

Also everything I lied about was italicized.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Or he won’t entertain outright racist games from the press. I don’t blame him. She interjected a racist element to something where there was none, her question therefore was racist. He was right to call her out on it.

What part of refusing to renounce White Nationalists do you fail to understand?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well nothing else gets the hell through to UC. I thought by buttering him up by sounding like a Trump sycophant I could plant some seeds of doubt.

Also everything I lied about was italicized.

Thank you. You subtlety eluded me.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

She said

Trump responded

You act like Trump hasn't had multiple instances of racism before and after elected President

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The part where it was irrelevant to the conversation, not applicable, and only brought up to stoke fear and racial tension I guess.

It's absolutely central to any sort of honest discussion. Or are you saying that didn't happen?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
So you're denying that white nationalist groups exist in the US?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'll try one...

Trump declares he is a member of the Ku Klux and then says that's not racist ignoring today's reality.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The part where it was irrelevant to the conversation, not applicable, and only brought up to stoke fear and racial tension I guess.
It's fun that you don't believe that the racial fear and tension is coming from the groups that openly want to subjugate, imprison, or deport all non-white and/or non-protestant peoples in the US, but instead blame the non-white and/or non-protestant peoples for not wanting to be subjugated, imprisoned, or deported.