PBS Frontline: Rumsfeld's War

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I guess it depends on your local affiliate. I was wrong, though. My local is showing it tomorrow night.

But, you can view the whole thing online.

irwincur

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
Don't normally like Frontline but I did catch their House of Saud a few days back and it really put a lot of things in perspective. Don't know about this one but as far as I am concerned, PBS tends to be a bit to activist tilted.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: irwincur
Don't normally like Frontline but I did catch their House of Saud a few days back and it really put a lot of things in perspective. Don't know about this one but as far as I am concerned, PBS tends to be a bit to activist tilted.
Oh good grief. :roll:

Activist tilted? They're not FOX News. *That's* activism! Have you not seen Outfoxed?

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28
Originally posted by: BBond
The scheduled times can be found Here

Damn, I'd wish they'd show it when I'm not either sleeping or working.

I already set up my PVR. I'll be burning it to disk. ;)

Don't you have a VCR?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Activist tilted? They're not FOX News. *That's* activism! Have you not seen Outfoxed?

That's a movie ALL P&Ners should watch, REGARDLESS of political outlook. Fox is destroying democracy, plain and simple.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Rumsfeld finally admits what we've all known for over two years, but, with a nice little spin

U.S. Has No Exit Strategy for Iraq, Rumsfeld Says
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=...&sid=a8sZejFz9ssI&refer=top_world_news
April 12 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. has no exit strategy or timetable for withdrawing its forces from Iraq and a pull-out depends on the readiness of the Iraqi Security Forces, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said.

``We don't have an exit strategy, we have a victory strategy,'' Rumsfeld told soldiers during a surprise visit to Baghdad, according to a pooled broadcast report from the capital. ``The goal is to help the Iraqi Forces develop the skills and the capacity to provide their own security.''

The defense secretary arrived in Iraq today to meet with Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari and President Jalal Talabani, Captain Darren Luke, a U.S. military spokesman, said by telephone from Baghdad. He'll press the two, who were both elected by National Assembly members last week, to continue moves toward democracy, the Associated Press reported.

The U.S. currently has 150,000 soldiers in Iraq, the strongest foreign contingent there followed by the U.K., South Korea and Italy. Poland, which has 1,700 troops in Iraq, today announced it would recall its forces by year's end, Polish TVN24 television reported.

The presence of coalition soldiers in the nation of 26 million people is contested by some Iraqis, tens of thousands of whom took to the streets of Baghdad on April 9 calling for U.S. troops to leave immediately. The Iraqi government wants U.S. forces to stay until they have quashed the insurgency which began after the March 2003 U.S.-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein.
: puke; : puke; : puke; : puke;

"Victory strategy"?? What a fvcking a**hole! :|

Tell that to the thousands of dead and wounded.

BTW,
http://www.bluebus.org/archives/20040513_bushs_exit_stra.php
"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
- George W. Bush - Houston Chronicle April 9, 1999

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
bah, one of the few times I guess I'll have to find a tv to watch.
(nm this is what BT is for)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
I bumped an old thread to post an update on a statement by Rumsfeld. But, btw, you can watch the video at the PBS site.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Don't you have a VCR?

You know - that thing near the TV that always has 12:00 blinking.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Of course Rumsfeld has never had an exit strategy. That implies leaving. By using the term "victory strategy" he pointing to the fact that we will NEVER leave. That once we have acheived victory, that victory must be maintained and this implies our permanent presence(sp?) in the country. But the problem with this is that once we acheive "victory" there will be people on both sides (more on the Iraqi side though) screaming for our depature from their land.
In that sense, it is in our interests to make sure that acheiving "Victory" takes its GOOOD sweet time, because like I stated a second ago people will demand our withdrawl. But if it takes fifteen years or so before "victory" is acheived (Though I could have remembered a single president who claimed victory and told the enemy to bring it on...) then by then both sides will be more accustomed to it. We'll look at it like Germany: I'm sure there are people advocating withdrawl of American troops...but largely no one cares that much and its seem as a normal thing by both Americans and Germans. And THAT is our ultimate goal: to make our prescense(sp?) one that is accepted by all...we just have to make sure time is on our side.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
I bumped an old thread to post an update on a statement by Rumsfeld. But, btw, you can watch the video at the PBS site.

*tips hat* thanks for the heads up!
I'm there.