Paypal's updated policies

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
When I logged in it gave some warning about updated policies and having 30 days to accept them. However, it says select "YES" if you agree to the policies, but there was not a "YES" button, only a submit button. Tried looking around the site but found nothing.

I was using FF. Didnt show back up under IE.

Preventative maintenance for the smart@sses:

No it was not a fraud/scam site. I went directly to www.paypal.com

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I just saw this too - what changes exactly were made? They had a link to a page of information but I don't think it outlined exactly what was changed or even a summary of the changes...

Nov 3, 2004
fvcking paypal... doesn't even tell us what we're agreeing to... isn't that somehow breaking some sort of law?

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
they sent me an email... pretty much it said that all the processing of the market money accounts was free before... but now they will start charge 0.25% to cover fees and such.... yeah ok.. like the 3% they take otherwise isn't enough... i'm getting off topic.

there might be more, but that's all i know

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I also logged in using FireFox and got the same message.

I wish Paypal had some real competition like GoogleWallet.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Yeah, great fing choice. Hmm... I don't want to agree yet the only option I have is to 'Submit.'

I just withdrew my last $60 from my account and will be closing it this week.

I hate PayPal and Ebay.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN

I'm hoping GoogleWallet makes paypal rethink their transaction rates and how they run their business. I'd be surprised if Paypal hasn't started preparing for Google's service yet, they've probably got a plan of action to release lowered rates the same day :p

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Is there any official listing somewhere for all the companies that are allowed to distribute credit cards through Mastercard/Visa? If we could monitor that list we'd be able to look for Google.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
I just saw this too - what changes exactly were made? They had a link to a page of information but I don't think it outlined exactly what was changed or even a summary of the changes...

I clicked the link and it took me to "My Account."

Even though it pisses me off that they charge for regular transfers, it is really the only way they make money. The 2.9%+.30 is what is charged to every retailer for credit card transactions. So they dont make money off of that so they charge the same for regular transfers. What pisses me off is that the regular account doesnt charge, but the premium does for every transaction.

I think when a service like this and eBay go public, we need to create/find the next leader that remains private. Otherwise it is all about the stockholders ROI.

As of right now, I loose more than 6% of almost every eBay auction due to their fees and Paypal fees. Its almost like a monopoly.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Winchester

Even though it pisses me off that they charge for regular transfers, it is really the only way they make money. The 2.9%+.30 is what is charged to every retailer for credit card transactions. So they dont make money off of that so they charge the same for regular transfers. What pisses me off is that the regular account doesnt charge, but the premium does for every transaction.

I think when a service like this and eBay go public, we need to create/find the next leader that remains private. Otherwise it is all about the stockholders ROI.

As of right now, I loose more than 6% of almost every eBay auction due to their fees and Paypal fees. Its almost like a monopoly.

Why almost? They are a monopoly. They will not be compelled to change for the better until a real competitor joins the market. So far, there aren't any.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
People sure love to bitch about PayPal.

"But I should be able to use their services for free!"

:roll:

PayPal is making a profit by providing a service, if you don't want to use their service you have plenty of alternatives.

Viper GTS

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003

Citi was great while it lasted.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

PayPal is making a profit by providing a service, if you don't want to use their service you have plenty of alternatives.

Viper GTS

I think the point is that with some competition the rates wouldn't be as high. 6%? That's ridiculous. Realtors make that, do a lot more for a sale than eBay/PP, yet many think that's too much. Go figure.

(<-- looking forward to some competition)

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Read my 2nd post. No bitching included. I stated exactly what you said.

SupaDupaCheez

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2000
I had the same problem using IE6

The 'link' to the changes only took me to an outline as to WHY they are doing it but no specifics as to WHAT they are changing.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The only reason paypal got off the ground in the first place, was because it was free. The idea was they would make money off the interest from the money sitting around in accounts. Of course, anyone with half a brain quickly transfered the money into their bank account if they weren't going to be using it shortly so that didn't pan out.

Now they're big enough it would take another big player like google to compete with them. I think any smaller startup would just be bought out.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Winchester

Right, and I have *no issue* with the fees at all. I'm just saying that competition will possibly cause them to lower their rates.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Coquito

Citi was great while it lasted.

It's unfortunate it was short lived and didn't really catch on :(