PayPal Exposed on MSNBC

PolaroidPaul

Jul 6, 2000
PayPal has been no help in avoiding scams. This article at [Lhttp://www.msnbc.com/news/434192[/L]

tells about the scam that I and numerous others got trapped in. Now, all of a sudden, PayPal wants to help!

Watch your wallet!!!!!!!!!!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So what. All Pay-pal is, is a money transfer too, as well as a free service. Covering your ass is not part of their responsibility, you still need to watch what you're doing. If I write someone a check and they disappear, do you think my bank is gonna go find them? Nope!

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
"Just when you thought you could trust the Net something like this happens,? said Tom Wight, of Agawam, Mass.

I wonder whether these victims considered the scammer's feedback.
Just because PayPal has earned a reliable method doesn't account for the destiny of your money. PayPal followed through with getting their money to it's destination. It completed it's purpose.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
If PayPal refunded the money every time someone claimed to be "scammed" then it wouldn't be a reliable method of payment any more.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
PayPal "exposed" haha.. yeah.. right. It's your responsibility about who you send money too. They aren't a CC company.. they don't charge interest or fees. You just gotta be careful.

Has anyone written to MSNBC about that? How it isn't really paypal's job function to cover your arse?

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is like blaming the credit card company when you charge something that never shows up. Cripes, when are people going to accept responsibility for their own stupidity, instead of trying to lay the blame on someone else?

Russ, NCNE

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Hey PolaroidPaul, just what was the scam you got douped by?

I totally agree with the other replies. Did you really expect a free service to be your mommy?

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Okay i just read the news article and it mentioned the scam involved cheap hard drives. Okay, sorry to say but i have to agree with the rest of the guys here. If you actually beleived you could buy something like a harddrive for such a low price and in an auction?! Come on dood. You can't blame PayPal. How are they supposed to know?

I mean it's like some guy offers to sell his BMW Z3 for $10,000. You pay for it but then are "surprised " and "shocked" that it was scam. Then you blame PayPal. Hahah what do you want? You want them to give you a Z3?

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Russ, bad example. Most credit cards WILL refund you the money if you were scammed in a transaction, and they WILL persue the person who did it as well..

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
PayPal is NOT a credit card company. All it does is allows individuals to accept credit card payments. If you were scammed by someone using PayPal, take it up with your CC company. It's no different than a business ripping you off, it's not PayPal's fault. It'd be like suing the telco because your CC info was transmitted through their lines.

Viper GTS

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Crimson,

The protection afforded by a credit card company is a seperate issue. I said blame them for the problem. This is different than the fact that, in that case, there would be recourse. Without regard for the fact that this protection is available, they are still not at fault.

Russ, NCNE

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
I had an unauthorized charge through one of these online money transfer companies... I wouldn't blame the company for doing their job. I would think that these companies would make every effort to prevent fraud in their OWN interests since the money gets transferred and the CC doesn't pay up.