Paypal buyers pay fees option?

jloor

Aug 2, 2002
Wouldn't it be cool if paypal had a buyers pay fee checkbox option?

For example you sell product X for $75, buyer pays $75 + fees and poof you have $75 in you account.

In some cases, I think some buyers wouldn't mind to pay fees, regaurdless, the option would be nice.

Most people sell stuff pretty low with shipped prices, then you get stuck with a fee... boo.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most people sell stuff pretty low with shipped prices, then you get stuck with a fee... boo.

That's why you build a 3% markup into your price, and offer a discount if needed.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Paypal's TOS says you cannot blatently charge a person the fees associated with their service.

jloor

Aug 2, 2002
yeah, but it would be nice to get whole $ amounts in you paypal.

Plus say if someone lends me $100 in paypal and I pay the fees. When I pay them back, I can still pay the fees and they recieve the same $100 and not a penny less. I just think it would be a useful option. I would hate to calculate the fees for every transaction for whole $ amounts.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: jlo
Wouldn't it be cool if paypal had a buyers pay fee checkbox option?

For example you sell product X for $75, buyer pays $75 + fees and poof you have $75 in you account.

In some cases, I think some buyers wouldn't mind to pay fees, regaurdless, the option would be nice.

Is this before or after the fact that its against the TOS?

I find it kind of prohibitive. If someone wants me to take paypal for THEIR convenience, I should be able to pass costs along to them specifically.

John- I do not like building a markup into my price everyone (regardless of payment option) should have to pay. If they want to use a special service, they should have to pay more for it.

Its like a loaded baked potato at your favorite steakhouse. If you want more, it costs extra.

Paypal- Get funds "immediately" and ship stuff, $ clears at bank in 3-4 days and get hit on fees.
Money order- Get funds in 3-4 days, bank credits the funds the next day with no additiona expense.

This is just my opinion.

-PAB

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Paypal- Get funds "immediately" and ship stuff, $ clears at bank in 3-4 days and get hit on fees.
Money order- Get funds in 3-4 days, bank credits the funds the next day with no additiona expense.
There are some good points in this thread. However, with the money order option, the buyer gets stuck with fees (.25 to 1.00) for purchasing the money order. However, I will agree there has to be another way for a "small time" trader like myself to avoid these fees.

I just downgraded my account to a "personal" account. If someone wants to send me some PayPal, then they better have the funds already loaded into their account. If they don't have the funds loaded, then they'll need to add some funds to their account and forward the money to my account. I think this way might work. I'll report back on my findings if this is the case.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Plus say if someone lends me $100 in paypal and I pay the fees. When I pay them back, I can still pay the fees and they recieve the same $100 and not a penny less. I just think it would be a useful option. I would hate to calculate the fees for every transaction for whole $ amounts.
I'm not sure if this works when you withdraw money then re-fund your account, but you could do a refund of their payment.

This summer I sold someone a CDRW I got back from an RMA. Turns out it was still broken, so he sent it back to me and I refunded his money with paypal. Although I only got like $36.60 after fees, when it refunded his payment to me, he got the full $40 he paid.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
MrBond,

Thanks for the tip on the "refund" option - sounds like a good option to use, if needed. :)