Paypal alternative?

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Hey everyone! I have been a seller on here for almost 20 years now and as of late I have had problems with Paypal holding funds. It seems like over the years the buying and selling of the company has decreased the customer service and now that they have added automation and selling metrics to it, its almost unusable. Does anyone have any good alternatives?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I really have not had any serious issues with Papal myself except when trying to send cash quickly when not involving a purchase which they are worthless for.

My bank (Key) has Zelle integrated directly into their secure banking website so I use that to send cash and Paypal for things like Ebay or FS/FT.

I usually just show up at people's door to collect.

wheres-my-money-where-is-it

Years ago I got beat on FS/FT for a Radeon 9800 & 2gb's DDR-100... I foolishly shipped first based on positive feedback on *CAG after receipt the guy went dark.
*(Cheap-ass Gamers forum)

Long story short, the "expert fraudster" shipped directly to his home in Austin Tx and ultimately I had a guy from CAG go there to pay him a visit! Turns out it was a 13 year old kid who wasn't home at the time BUT his MOM (rotfl) was extremely interested.

I received my stuff back none the worse for wear about 10 days later! :D

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I really have not had any serious issues with Papal myself except when trying to send cash quickly when not involving a purchase which they are worthless for.

My bank (Key) has Zelle integrated directly into their secure banking website so I use that to send cash and Paypal for things like Ebay or FS/FT.

wheres-my-money-where-is-it

Years ago I got beat on FS/FT for a Radeon 9800 & 2gb's DDR-100... I foolishly shipped first based on positive feedback on *CAG after receipt the guy went dark.
*(Cheap-ass Gamers forum)

Long story short, the "expert fraudster" shipped directly to his home in Austin Tx and ultimately I had a guy from CAG go there to pay him a visit! Turns out it was a 13 year old kid who wasn't home at the time BUT his MOM (rotfl) was extremely interested.

I received my stuff back none the worse for wear about 10 days later! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I hear a bunch of people using Venmo, but think Paypal is still the most common. Paypal has great support for banks/credit cards. But....Paypal is sort of like eBay. They realize that they don't make money from sellers. They make money from buyers. Unless you're doing mad volume or paying them for premium seller services, you're going to have less leverage than the people on the other end.

Consider that Square just bought Afterpay. It may be a good options to start leaning toward them since they're wanting to grab more market share.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There are a number of alternatives to send and receive money, like zelle and venmo, but a lot of people won't use them for transaction of goods on the second hand market. At least in my limited experience. They don't provide any protections for the buyer of seller like Paypal G&S does, so at least in the couple communities I see sales happening, almost everyone uses Paypal.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I cancelled my PayPal account a while back when they said they would fine you if they don't agree with your online views, which I think is completely insane that they can even do that.

For people I know IRL, I just use etransfer, for online, I rarely do business with individuals unless it's through Ebay or Amazon or something, and for that I just use my credit card.

If you are selling stuff and run your own online store, Stripe might be worth looking into.

Reactions: highland145

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I cancelled my PayPal account a while back when they said they would fine you if they don't agree with your online views, which I think is completely insane that they can even do that.

For people I know IRL, I just use etransfer, for online, I rarely do business with individuals unless it's through Ebay or Amazon or something, and for that I just use my credit card.

If you are selling stuff and run your own online store, Stripe might be worth looking into.
A couple of my credit cards have occasional 5% cash back quarters for Amazon or Paypal. I have used an alternative to Paypal maybe a time or two. In general, no problem with Paypal. They will stand behind you if you're jobbed, is my experience. I made a purchase from a top level UK outfit that sold sporting goods parts and somehow my dough wound up in someone else's pocket and the company said they had no record of my purchase. I was reimbursed by Paypal but the process was kind of messy and complicated. It was around $25 for a bike chain tool which I never received, of course. My impression is credit card companies are much more apt to stand behind you without making things complicated.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Not a seller, but as a buyer, I refuse to use PP.

This goes back many years, after using PP as a buyer I apparently reached a point ($$ spent) where they were demanding access to my bank account. Fuck that... and haven't used it since, even though I don't think they still require bank account access after you spend a certain amount. At the time, I think it was about $1,500.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
PayPal can DIAF far as I'm concerned. 👹

They lost me (a regular customer since they were founded!) over their refusal to reverse a $22 fraud charge despite my providing copious supporting evidence. It was like talking to a fence-post.... fortunately my bank had no issue reversing the charge.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'd like to stop using Paypal due to the stories I hear so I know the bigger picture, but personally, it's worked well for me. The only time I tried to get scammed, I documented things and got my money back. Other than that, it's the most commonly used payment system in the backpack/EDC community for selling bags, and also in the audiophile community, for selling gear.