paying with cc and don't have to sign

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Originally posted by: toekramp
I don't sign my cards. I put "DEMAND ID" on the back. If I am in a restaurant and I am not asked for my ID, they get no tip.

i used to do this as well. however, one lady who claimed she was working a night job (her regular job was a police officer) told me this was illegal to do and when you did this you voided your CC. while typically people had asked for my ID in the past, i just assumed that she wouldn't be making that sh|t up. so atleast in Virginia it's illegal to not 'sign' the back of your card.

LOL, who is going to enforce that? The credit card company? I don't think so, they want your business if you sign the card or not.

I do it to protect myself the best I can. Yes I am covered if someone wants to use my card but do I want that hassle? No. I do simple things to try and prevent it. That is like leaving my front door wide open for someone to steal all my stuff. Yes my insurance will cover it but who wants that type of hassle.

Actually a news program ran a article telling people to do this and had to retract it the next day after the CC card companies got a hold of them. All somebody has to do is sign "DEMAND ID" and they would have to accept it. That space is for a authorization mark, not notes to people.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Ylen13
Originally posted by: notfred
Do you sign anything when you buy stuff online with your CC, or at a gas pump?

on web u entere the 3 digits on the back of the card as for gas station you enter your zip code

i've never entered a zip code at any gas station. As for entering 3 digits on the web, all that "proves" is that you physically have the card and didn't just find the number on some receipt. If you are using a stolen card at a subway store, than you obviously already have the physical card so the 3 digits on the back provide no security.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
I don't sign my cards. I put "DEMAND ID" on the back. If I am in a restaurant and I am not asked for my ID, they get no tip.

How do you do this? Any place I go to I sign my card and leave after writing in the tip. What order do you do things?

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
mcdonalds and wendys don't ask for your sig.

didn't know mc donalds even take cc must be new
Same here but I believe that it varies with location as most food places that are fast food don't accept any credit cards.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
haha, you actually think people check all those signatures? you are still protected with most CC's if you report fraud

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Antisocial-Virge

How do you do this? Any place I go to I sign my card and leave after writing in the tip. What order do you do things?

Uh, what are you talking about?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I went to subway today and paid with credit card. The cashier just gave me the receipt and told me I don't need to sign it. I hope only subway dose this and no one else switches to this. Anyone else experiences this. Are they using the cc as atm if not how are they getting away with out getting my signature. Its not one of those atm/cc but only a cc

So you like having to sign?

Here's the facts:
No one checks the signatures, so it doesn't deter theft.
No one is going to steal your card.
If someone does steal your card, you can contest the charges.

Stop being paranoid.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
I went to subway today and paid with credit card. The cashier just gave me the receipt and told me I don't need to sign it. I hope only subway dose this and no one else switches to this. Anyone else experiences this. Are they using the cc as atm if not how are they getting away with out getting my signature. Its not one of those atm/cc but only a cc

So you like having to sign?

Here's the facts:
No one checks the signatures, so it doesn't deter theft.
No one is going to steal your card.
If someone does steal your card, you can contest the charges.

Stop being paranoid.

yes i can contest charges but its a pain in a**. Been there done that. Someone stold 3,000 of my cc. Lucly for cc company they didn't know that the cc had 25 thousand limit otherwise they would have stold much much more

astroview

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
What I hate is when people check the sig b/c they are on a power trip. Biatch at target does that, no one else does.

I'm starting to wonder if I can pay my $1 apple pie at McDonald's with a CC.... Is that too low lol???

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: astroview
What I hate is when people check the sig b/c they are on a power trip. Biatch at target does that, no one else does.

I'm starting to wonder if I can pay my $1 apple pie at McDonald's with a CC.... Is that too low lol???

not sure i have paid for 32c postage at postal office couple of times with cc