Paula Dean's fake tears and her telling the Today show "I is what I is.."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hey, hey, hey now... I think we can all agree that this whole thing has been a giant conspiracy orchestrated by the "evil people" who are out to get her.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Its the rural South, if this surprises you then you haven't been there apparently. Some parts of the country are still very, very, very overtly racist.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I feel like that has to be blown out of proportion. Maybe she didn't want cooks using the front door because there was a back door and people who work in the back shouldn't work through the front of house and dining areas to get to their post. Maybe also the bathrooms were the guest bathrooms? I understand she's a racist, but I would have to think that that treatment of her employees would have been enough to warrant her demise on its own merits. Not a tag-along story to her being videotaped telling racist jokes to patrons.

Yea I mean it just depends on context, those policies are all over the place for restaraunts. You don't want folks with greasy aprons walking through the front door in front of customers and they have to use employee bathrooms, etc. If they have an all black staff I guess you could call it segregation if all the customers are rich white people. If they couldnt even use those facilities while closed or walk in through the front when closed it would be obvious she is telling the truth.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
She's an old, racist, white woman who still is living in the 1900's. Her punishment should be more than a lawsuit IMHO.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
That wasn't her opinion. That was her to way of life. She and her Bubba should be lined up against a tree and executed like they used to do blacks back in the day. Let's see how humorous it is to make fun of a black stain in US history when they're being strung from a tree.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I feel like that has to be blown out of proportion. Maybe she didn't want cooks using the front door because there was a back door and people who work in the back shouldn't work through the front of house and dining areas to get to their post. Maybe also the bathrooms were the guest bathrooms? I understand she's a racist, but I would have to think that that treatment of her employees would have been enough to warrant her demise on its own merits. Not a tag-along story to her being videotaped telling racist jokes to patrons.
Cooks and dishwasher, yes. Managers, no - assuming that's true.

Paula Dean was videotaped telling racist jokes to patrons? Had not heard that.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This is the young man she describes as her son from another father in this same interview. Politically incorrect, sure, but racist?

I wouldn't call that a racist joke. I think of a racist joke as one which involves implying something negative about a particular race. Unless one assumes that very dark skin is inherently inferior, I don't think this qualifies, but YMMV.

Example of a racist joke:
Swedish Airlines is opening up a new route to Nigeria, so they send their crack pilot team to try out the new route. On approach, the pilot says "This looks like a pretty short runway, give me 10 degree flaps." The copilot complies.

A bit closer in and the pilot says "Man, that runway is shorter than I thought. Better make that 15 degree flaps. The copilot complies.

At 1,000 feet the pilot says "Crap, I don't think this runway is long enough for this plane. Better give me 25 degree flaps." The copilot complies.

At five hundred feet the pilot panics. "Jesus, we're never gonna make it. Quick, give me 40 degree flaps." The copilot complies. Fifty feet up the plane stalls, then slams down on the runway. The pilot slams throttles into full reverse, both men stand on the brakes, and the plane shutters to a stop inches from running off the tarmac. Wiping his brow, the pilot says "Man, I can't believe how short this runway is! We almost died!"

And the copilot says "Yeah, and look how wiiide it is!"

An acceptable racist joke since it's about white people, but with the implication that the pilots are mentally defective.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What I am wondering: where is Spidey in all of this? I expected he and his kin to be lining up on this scandal like homophobes at a Chik Fil-A.

where is the freedom butter?

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
OP why are you crucifying Paula when she didnt say any of those things? her piece of shit brother did.

Apparently in her deposition, of course it doesn't show on the snippet I provided but she admitted to using the term N****s on many occassions. I guess you haven't followed the news? Thats why she is apologizing profusely, but again, she allowed this hostile climate to continue under her company / show and there were many many complaints. Hence the lawsuit finally

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is the young man she describes as her son from another father in this same interview. Politically incorrect, sure, but racist?

I wouldn't call that a racist joke. I think of a racist joke as one which involves implying something negative about a particular race. Unless one assumes that very dark skin is inherently inferior, I don't think this qualifies, but YMMV.

Example of a racist joke:

An acceptable racist joke since it's about white people, but with the implication that the pilots are mentally defective.
What is wrong with you lately? It's like you had a lobotomy or something, and you already had precious little to begin with. That isn't a racist joke. It isn't making fun of white people. It's making fun of Swedish people.

No, seriously, WTF is wrong with you lately?

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN.

OMG call the race police! Words hurt me!

/endSarcasm

What is wrong with you lately? It's like you had a lobotomy or something, and you already had precious little to begin with. That isn't a racist joke. It isn't making fun of white people. It's making fun of Swedish people.

Lmao

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What I am wondering: where is Spidey in all of this? I expected he and his kin to be lining up on this scandal like homophobes at a Chik Fil-A.

where is the freedom butter?
Dude, you made me spit tea!

Well, it was originally an Ellen Degeneres joke IIRC about the Swiss - she said they were the only group it was safe to make fun of. I decided Swedes are paler than the Swiss. At any rate, it's closer to a racist joke than what Dean said, which had no pejorative content at all.

As to the other, nothing especially. I've just been seeing more proggie insanity than usual. And I must mock it. You'd know if I had a lobotomy because I'd be saying things like it's Bush's fault that Obama is violating the Constitution because he started it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If the only people that have never in their life used a racial slur could post their out rage, this would be a very very short thread. The person that rants and raves about this is a f***ing hypocrite.

I've used them, you have used them, but I have the integrity to admit it vs. being a raging liar.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If the only people that have never in their life used a racial slur could post their out rage, this would be a very very short thread. The person that rants and raves about this is a f***ing hypocrite.

I've used them, you have used them, but I have the integrity to admit it vs. being a raging liar.

I've never called anyone a ****** in my life.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm talking about any racist term, not just the 'n' word. Every race has a whole list of racist terms for every other race.

I don't think I've called anyone any racist term really. Apart from the French, and that was just calling them French (which is enough) and they're French so they don't count anyway.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Looks like a lot of people have hated Paula Deen for a while and are now dumping on her since the opportunity arose. I don't care for her much, she's a little too 'exuberant' for my tastes (I like her food though) but this seems ridiculous. Reminds me of when she announced she had diabetes. WTH? how/why would people give someone grief about that?

From what I can tell she's not the subject of the discrimination lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed by a white woman. She used the 'N' word something like 30 yrs ago in a private conversation with her husband. She's getting pummeled for that?

In any case, as far as those companies etc dropping her that's their decision. If they think she is bad for business then they're correct to dump her.

I would imagine she is very very wealthy by now, so I don't have any sympathy, or just very little. What can she lose? More money that she doesn't need? I suspect like most celebs she loves being a celeb and popular and that's what she fears losing.

She's made a fool of herself with all these over-the-top apologies. Who's ever advice she is following (likely her own) is serving her very poorly.

Fern

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I can call myself a cracker, but if someone from another race does, they're dead. ;-)

I admit that I have no tolerance for racism.

We're all the same on the inside.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I first heard of her about a week back. It seems to me like she made an inappropriate joke and has been lambasted as possibly the worst human since Stalin, it's absolutely insane.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
How many times do they say it in most rap songs? 50? More? Oh, but it's OK for THEM to say it just not US.

Political correctness is pure crap.

I think shes full of it, BTW, but she still has the right to express herself, even if THEY find it disagreeable somehow. If THEY don't like the term, then THEY should stop using the term continuously in rap songs.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
How many times do they say it in most rap songs? 50? More? Oh, but it's OK for THEM to say it just not US.

Political correctness is pure crap.

It's not about political correctness.

A very stereotypical example is this - your girlfriend asks you, "does my bum look fat in this dress?", if you say yes, you're probably in for an evening of hostility. However, if she says that her bum looks fat in that dress, she's criticising herself which is a lot more acceptable to her than if you say it. She's acknowledging a shortcoming which is quite personal to her. Having other people point it out is more hurtful to her.

If a black guy I worked with went around calling white people crackers, I would ask him to stop because he's labelling an entire race based on the behaviour of some fuckwits in the past, and to say something like that he must really hate white people. If a white person went around calling himself/white people crackers, then he's an idiot. I would ask him to stop as well, but unless he has some significant mental issues, he's not doing it because he hates white people, so it's not really possible to take it half as personally.