Paul Wolfowitz World Bank helping his girlfriend?

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
It seems that Paul Wolfowitz, formerly in the Pentagon pushing the Iraq engagement, is now pushing his girlfriend's promotion and salary at the World Bank of which he is now president.

"Payroll data obtained from the World Bank and made public Thursday by GAP show that Riza, a communications officer in the Bank?s Middle East Office, who is currently working in an external assignment at the U.S. State Department, received a 47,300 dollar, or 35.5 percent, raise to 180,000 dollars after Wolfowitz arrived.

This raise was followed last year by another 13,590 dollar raise, or about 7.5 percent, to a total salary of 193,590 dollars.

?If World Bank staff rules had been respected, she was not to receive percentage increases greater than 12 percent and 3.7 percent, respectively. Her current salary of 193,590 dollars is about seven thousand dollars more than what [U.S.] Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice earns,? GAP said in the statement Thursday."

Linkage

I also heard this on NPR tonight.

What's the deal with these guys? Do they think they are so smart nobody else could ever figure this out?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
This is a guy who combs his hair with generous amounts of his own saliva, smart is not one of the words I would use to describe him.

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
When will having a PhD in Economics and experience in development be a pre-requisite for becoming head of the World Bank. That nomination was a joke, and the World Bank lost a lot of respect.

Quote:

Nobel Prize winner and former chief economist for the world bank Joseph Stiglitz said:

"The World Bank will once again become a hate figure. This could bring street protests and violence across the developing world."

In a speech at the U.N. Economic and Social Council Economist Jeffrey Sachs was quite vocal in his opposition to Wolfowitz.

"It's time for other candidates to come forward that have experience in development. This is a position on which hundreds of millions of people depend for their lives," he said. "Let's have a proper leadership of professionalism."

Now on top of incompetence, we can add nepotism to this guy's resume. From a purely technical perspective, this wave of neo-cons has been the worst governance class the US had seen in a century. And personally I think the conservatives have been hit in their image more than anybody else.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
This is a guy who combs his hair with generous amounts of his own saliva, smart is not one of the words I would use to describe him.

LOL :laugh:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Wolfowitz did not spell out his exact role in determining Riza's pay deal. But he said that "in hindsight, I wish I had trusted my original instincts and kept myself out of the negotiations."

He explained that he had followed advice given by the bank's ethics committee, and said: "I take full responsibility for the details of the agreement.

What the h3ll kind of "ethics" committee does this organization have?

-------------------------------

Oh, I see. It's being run in a U.N. "fashion".

The Bank's formal relationship with the United Nations is defined by a 1947 agreement which recognizes the Bank as an independent specialized agency of the UN as well as a member and observer in many UN bodies. A recent review of the nature of collaboration activities between the United Nations and Bretton Woods Institutions confirms that a multifaceted, extensive and growing partnership exists between them.

The Bank also has links with the UN at the political and policy-making level in the work of the General Assembly and its committees, the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), whose members recently participated in an exchange of dialogue on development issues with the Bank's Executive Directors, and such bodies as the United Nations System Chief Executives Board for Coordination. The broad range of positive cooperation at the global and country levels includes the following:

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
He also said Iraq would cost $1.7 billion, then $40 billions and it would pay for itself.

Maybe he just can't do math?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
Wolfowitz did not spell out his exact role in determining Riza's pay deal. But he said that "in hindsight, I wish I had trusted my original instincts and kept myself out of the negotiations."

He explained that he had followed advice given by the bank's ethics committee, and said: "I take full responsibility for the details of the agreement.

What the h3ll kind of "ethics" committee does this organization have?

I'm thinking one full of horny old men that have to pay women $193,590/yr to sleep with them?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Wow, Wolfowitz is an utter failure no matter what position he holds. :thumbsdown:

You see it as failure, he sees it as success.

eilute

Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Strk
He also said Iraq would cost $1.7 billion, then $40 billions and it would pay for itself.

Maybe he just can't do math?

Maybe he cheated and stole to climb his way to the top. Why does it seem like everyone the president surrounds himself with is corrupt? Why does the president keep appointing these people?