Paul Ryan's Seat in Congress

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
I live in Paul Ryan's district. Will he be on the ballot for his seat in Congress in addition to being Mitt Romney's running mate? Or does he forfeit his seat in Congress since he's running on the national ticket? Does this mean that I will get to vote against him/for him twice? I could easily see Romney/Ryan losing, but Ryan retaining his Congressional seat if this is the case.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes. State law allows him to hedge his bet on Romney.

He's a weasel for doing so, but, well, yeh, it's nothing we didn't already know.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
I am not 100% sure but didn't Barack Obama and Joe Biden do the same thing in 2008 (Run for their respective Senate seats)?

This is a non-issue.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I could easily see Romney/Ryan losing, but Ryan retaining his Congressional seat if this is the case.

If that's not what you want, work your ass off to change it. Wisconsin Republicans and Ryan's own new found national negative notoriety have given Wisconsin residents plenty of ammunition to take him down.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
He's still running for his Congressional seat. If Romney/Ryan lose then he takes his seat in the House. If Romney/Ryan win then the Governor will appoint a replacement for him in the House iirc and Romney and Ryan can attempt to fix this country that Obama and his cadre of liberal cock suckers have almost ruined.

Apr 27, 2012
He's still running for his Congressional seat. If Romney/Ryan lose then he takes his seat in the House. If Romney/Ryan win then the Governor will appoint a replacement for him in the House iirc and Romney and Ryan can attempt to fix this country that Obama and his cadre of liberal cock suckers have almost ruined.

Well said, obama has destroyed what was a great country and he must be kicked out

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yes. State law allows him to hedge his bet on Romney.

He's a weasel for doing so, but, well, yeh, it's nothing we didn't already know.

Is John Kerry still a Senator? Democrats have no problem with this.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Please explain exactly what this has to do with the OP's question... if you can. :whiste:

The other examples of folks keeping their seat isn't good enough for you?

You will notice, of course, I wasn't directly responding to the OP. He was already answered, there are other fish to fry. Such as the narrative that there would be anything wrong or unusual in Ryan keeping his seat.

Now what does you questioning me have to do with the OP's question? We can keep this wagon going all day. Let's not.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I am not 100% sure but didn't Barack Obama and Joe Biden do the same thing in 2008 (Run for their respective Senate seats)?
Yeah right your not sure.,..you are not fooling anybody,

There is always one in the crows looking to deflect or change the issue at hand....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Now what does you questioning me have to do with the OP's question? We can keep this wagon going all day. Let's not.
actually thats is not true.....these forums get closed down periodically for maintenance..lolol

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012

There is always one in the crows looking to deflect or change the issue at hand....

Obama was elected in 2004 and thus not up for re-election until 2010.

Biden was up for re-election in 2008 and ran for senate concurrently with his VP bid, then resigned the seat.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
As someone accused of being a liberal on these boards (nowadays), I don't see the issue here. The outrage is undeserved. Now, Ryan cannot be both VP and a Representative, IIRC. That would be outrageous. The only thing that I can see is concerning is that if (God forbid) Romney wins, the people of Ryan's current district would be without representation in the HOR until a replacement could be appointed or elected, whichever the case may be based on the constitution of his state.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Is John Kerry still a Senator? Democrats have no problem with this.

John Kerry was not running for re-election in the same year as he was running for POTUS. John Edwards, on the other hand, did not run for both Senate and VP.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As I somewhat scream bullshit on this whole thread contention. Because the last congrees critter or US Senate candidate before Obama to successively win POTUS was JFK in 1960. Meanwhile the Americn electorate has mainy elected State Governors for POTUS.

But still a US Senator is always in a better position to run for POTUS than a mere congessman. As US Senators do not have to defend their seat 2/3'rd of the time, and a Congreesman must do it every two years.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

I was wrong about Obama right about Biden and it appears this is routinely done by members of both parties.

Conclusion is still the same this is a non-issue.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
He must not have any faith in Romney's ability to win. Oh well, Ryan will just walk right back into his permanent seat in Congress.

I never saw where Obama resigned his seat in the Senate.

Actually; it might be better for any politician running for Federal office to resign their seat upon declaring a candidacy unless they are the incumbent.